1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Writing results - what you expected?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ezzie, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Erm, I think we'll stick with what we got!

2. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

If I'm honest ours were overmarked too. Probably by at least 2 marks per script.

3. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

I'd agree that commas shouldn't be credited if full stops are not used correctly. However in our case, it seems that where children have 80% of Band A2 (for example) there has been no consideration given that they also have 80% of band A3 (for example). And not only that, but they have been marked low within the A2 band.

4. otters258

otters258 New commenter

You are not alone. Our results are very similar. Also have only 3% Level 5 when were expecting 25%. We are sending about 40% back, some of whom will not cross a grade boundary but who have been so badly done to by the marking that we feel we have a moral duty to make a fuss on their behalf.
    This link provides information about the national picture:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14028041

5. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

So, are you sending yours back for re-marking too, since they've been so badly marked?
    Guess that WolfPaul's being ironical. In fact, though, when there were KS3 NCT, there were many requests for reviews because of over generous marking. A lower result wouldn't hurt the child at all and would help in the more important "Value Added" come the end of KS4.
    Does anyone know of requests for reviews for KS2 because of too many marks being awarded? (Genuine question.)

6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I'd agree that commas shouldn't be credited if full stops are not used
    correctly. However in our case, it seems that where children have 80% of
    Band A2 (for example) there has been no consideration given that they
    also have 80% of band A3 (for example). And not only that, but they have
    been marked low within the A2 band.
    Haven't marked KS2 recently - so I may be out of date but I think that you have to be sure that the whole of one band is achieved before you check with the one above.

7. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Have taken the rough for a couple of years in what I considered to be over-harsh marking, so am now very grateful for the smooth and have no intention whatsoever of asking for a review.

8. I have recently completed a KS2 literacy research project focused on the Hot Reading approach. The first results from a Sth Croydon Primary School have just come in and may be iof interest. They are
    Predicted Actual
    Level 2: 3% Level 2: 0
    Level 3: 47% Level 3: 6%
    Level 4: 47% Level 4: 47%
    Level 5: 3% Level 5: 47%

The school's predicted 50% pass rate rose to 94%. The Hot Reading approach is now the school's literacy policy and I confidently predict that in future, the majority of her pupils will achieve Level 5 English as a matter of routine.