1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Writing Moderation ... how did you get on?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tomtom20, Jun 7, 2017.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Our moderators didn't ask if writing was independent or not! And if they happened to look at non independent work and find evidence, I didn't highlight that it was not independent.

Our moderators did not use a ticksheet - I had studiously ensured all my expected kids had every single type of punctuation used at some point but they didn't check for this; more just looked for the overall picture and looked for specific bullet points which stood out as not having been met in the first couple of pieces. Ticksheets were useful for this, as when they mentioned not seeing modal verbs, I was able to direct them easily to a piece which definitely had them.

Overall the process was no where near as stressful as expected. Out of 5 children I had one moved down, but i wasn't surprised as she was borderline in my mind.

Pomz likes this.
  2. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

What a useful thread this is! (Tick against exclamation sentence). Interesting to read different experiences of moderation and from moderators.

3. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

We were moderated yesterday - 1.5 form entry with 8 out of 41 children selected to be looked at. It was a full on experience - lots of in depth discussion - but was very positive and well managed I thought.

I never felt like I was being interrogated or being caught out. It was a genuine discussion about the children, their writing styles and showing the evidence that they had met the standards. I guess it helped that the moderator agreed with our assessments, although we spent about 30 minutes on one child trying to decide whether they were GDS or EXS. We had her down as EXS and eventually agreed that she didn't have the skills for GDS but it was interesting that the moderator looked at moving the assessment up and paid close attention to the borderline children.

I wouldn't want it every year, but it wasn't too bad.

4. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

My moderation was today. It was fine. Not as scary as I thought it would be.

5. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Senior commenter

I'm really glad that the moderation process seems to be far less controversial than it was last year, when there appeared to be a bit of 'power-tripping' from some LA teams.

As I said, a while back, it was obvious that the STA had finally woken up to the fact that there was, previously, far too much room for interpretation and they had to make the guidelines more explicit in order to avoid this, hence the hugely expensive national training sessions and really tough tests for prospective moderators (which sorted out those who were previously far too pedantic).

Now we all know what constitutes 'a shift in formality', maybe there will be less stress over GDS next year. Unless the goal posts are shifted again next year :)

Please God, no!

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You can definitely expect changes next year.

bevdex likes this.
  7. intime

intime New commenter

Your link to the Moderator Training materials was so useful - especially the sheet on shifts in formality. We used this to annotate work and it worked a treat - we realised we had more Greater Depth than initially thought. Thank you! (Just a thought - why wasn''t the sheet given to teachers in the first place?!)

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Because that would have been too sensible...:)

cassandramark2 likes this.
  9. Blimper

Blimper New commenter

We were moderated today and it took 3 hours. There was a discussion first as to how we had reached our verdict on each child and they were happy with our internal moderation process plus, because we are part of an academy trust, we have attended external moderation meetings and again this helped support our agreed assessments. We highlighted evidence in books whenever we asserted a piece of writing and then ticked them on our assessment sheets so we knew exactly where the evidence was. All our judgements were agreed including our two GD ones.

10. katiejoyce

katiejoyce New commenter

We were moderated Thursday. It was the second year in a row for me as I moved schools!
    We are two form entry with a third teacher for Maths/English to reduce group size. They took 10 children from across the three groups. As we have high GDS and low WTS they only took 2 WTS, 4 EXS and 4 GDS. All judgements were agreed and they even stayed to look at two more EXS/GDS borderline that we had put as EXS and wanted their opinion on. They put one up and said the other needed one more piece of evidence for 'Verb forms for effect'.

The moderators told us that our marking helped as we highlight in green then write on the left page (left blank by the children) exactly which statement it relates to. That way, they only had to check we were right not search themselves. They did fill in checklists but only one column for each pupil to see if they met the statements over a range of work. Once they had found them, whether that be in a couple of pieces or a few more, they moved on.

Overall, I have found both times to be a positive experience which has helped me feel more confident in assessing writing as a year 6 teacher. However, our deputy head is a moderator himself so had ensured we were clear on the expectations, especially switches in formality and verb forms for effect. Also, because we have the third teacher, we managed to filter off the GDS children for a few sessions earlier in the year to explicitly teach shifts in formality and verb forms for effect.