1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Writing Moderation ... how did you get on?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tomtom20, Jun 7, 2017.

1. hovispride

hovispride New commenter

Absolutely. Play the game, not the occasion. When YOU present the evidence, there's very little can go wrong, as long as your evidence is accurate in the first place. Why leave yourself open to a difficult day when you can control it from start to finish?

bevdex and Pomz like this.
  2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

100% right. Why turn something easy and straight forward into a potential problem?

3. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

Agreed, but let the moderators find the gaps before you can step in and save the day (earning yourself brownie points and big kudos from your SMT;)).

Milgod likes this.
  4. hovispride

hovispride New commenter

Any SMT worth their salt would know exactly what was being presented in the first place. If 'saving the day' is required at the point of moderation, there's a longer term issue.

5. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

Really? My SMT don't have an intimate knowledge of the very, many features of the Y6 standards for writing and we are a pretty good school. Why would they? That's the job of we Y6 teachers and the assessment leader. Even if yours actually do, Hovispride, the training for LA assessment leaders and lead moderators (held in London etc) clearly stated that moderators had to look for evidence and, only when they couldn't find enough, should teachers point them in the right direction. Not to mention that, in a large school, this would suggest that your SMT knows exactly what is contained within EACH pupil's book - not just English, remember, but Foundation subjects, Science etc, etc.

As for my 'saving the day' comment - it was meant to be encouraging...obviously!!

I assume you are a Y6 teacher, school assessment leader or SMT member. If the latter, well done. Maybe you can deliver CPD next year in relation to managing shifts of formality within one piece of writing (and I mean properly - not a couple of examples of dialogue within a text).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  6. hovispride

hovispride New commenter

I'm clearly lucky that the SMT make it their business to know what's going on in every class, with every child. I value that, but appreciate it may be different elsewhere. They make it their business to be present in classrooms (in a supportive way) on a daily basis.

With regards to evidence, we find it much easier and far less stressful to identify the evidence we'd like the moderator to consider. We don't feel an obligation to do this, but it seems to make perfect sense and works very well for us.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Good stuff...

8. craigmc14

craigmc14 New commenter

I have mine on Wednesday, just a couple of points to clear up:
    1) for GD switch in formality- can speech not be used at all? I have some aspects in persuasive writing and short stories as they switch from a formal style to a 'cheekier' aspect and have used humour but was hoping for speech to be used as well.

2) out of the 6 pieces is is acceptable if they have used the switch in 2/3 pieces or does it need to be the majority?

Just grey areas really!

Thanks.

Rayfin likes this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

There needs to be at least two pieces that include at least two shifts each.

Yes, the can be done in places with dialogue, but ideally there should be writing which demonstrates that to pupil can vary the degree of formality employed, in a well managed fashion across more than one text type.

There is no national requirement at all to have 'six pieces'. I would expect to see the child's books, going back to September.

If I were you, I would check out the STA resources I posted a link to above.

10. jw0341

jw0341 New commenter

Hi Captain Oats,

Thank you for you post- I found it very useful. I am new to year 6 and being moderated in just over a week. Just wondering how many examples do they need to see for each statement on the working towards? For example, how many examples of the child using colons/semicolons are needed?

Thanks!

11. jw0341

jw0341 New commenter

Sorry! I meant working at

12. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

Just a as a matter of interest (to those of you who have been through moderation), do the moderators use a checklist to keep track of where/how many times they have seen evidence of whichever standard they are looking at? If so, is it the one used in the exemplification materials or something different?

Blimper likes this.
  13. chickenlady4

chickenlady4 Occasional commenter

Hiya - I was moderated today. it is best that you are prepared in some way - at least know where certain passive voice/contractions are in their work. I did do the tick sheets. The process took 2 hrs in the end. When I was asked for addition evidence (passive voice, contractions, speech) then I could check my sheet and go direct to it. The process would just take longer otherwise. For me, I like to know things are calm. As for GD - the speech was fine but it needed to be sort of seamless and natural - it was about natural and sustained rather than shoehorned in. I got to ask lots of questions so I now know for next year. Luckily the mod agreed with my decisions. Very calm - not stressful, as I had the evidence. Looked at 2 or 3 stories, liked it hand written, a few non-fiction pieces and then just odd evidence for points. I had newspaper reports but used dialect contractions for contrast. Looked for evidence of GD in other pieces - wanted natural phrasing. Seemed ok.

bevdex and Pomz like this.
  14. chickenlady4

chickenlady4 Occasional commenter

Sorry, Trapin1 - yes a tick sheet but the one with 1 box for each standard rather than the handy 6 box version of last year. I reckon around 3 pieces of evidence for each box unless they were borderline. To be honest, they can tell my the child's phrasing. The mod read a few pieces first for a flavour of the child and then went back to tick. Hope that helps.

15. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

It certainly does help, chickenlady4 - thanks.

16. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

Just another thought (sorry) - I've heard/read various comments about how far back moderators check writing. Can any moderators reading clarify whether independent writing right from the beginning of the year can be used as evidence or is it mostly recent writing?

17. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We were moderated today. The moderators focused on work from January onwards but did look before this to see the progress. They wanted to see evidence of at least 3 occurrences of each for Expected and consistent application of all for Greater Depth. They were especially interested in deliberate shifts in formality and looked hard for evidence for it!

bevdex likes this.
  18. johndeere

johndeere New commenter

This was my exact experience today too. It was a very supportive and useful process - not as stressful as I had been anticipating!

19. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

They didn't keep track of how many times from what I remember. As long as they could see them somewhere.
    Not sure if that's what every moderator would do though!

They don't need to see evidence of every single item from the checklist in one piece of writing - as long as they have used all of them across a range of writing.

20. hazlahatsa

hazlahatsa New commenter

Morning all,

I am just wondering how many of you have a separate book for final pieces of writing? I don't like the idea of it myself as I love seeing the progression in one book but I don't want to be wrong footed if moderated next year!

All input appreciated