1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Writing Moderation ... how did you get on?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tomtom20, Jun 7, 2017.

1. louise1202

louise1202 New commenter

I'm not a moderator but have been through it a few times now. To be prepared, you should have your child lists complete (sent by the local authority) and all of your books ready and easily accessible and know which evidence you would prefer to use. Teachers need to be released for the visit and a comfy room (with drinks and biscuits!) to moderate in. You should have read all of the documentation and be familiar with the interim assessment framework and how the process will work. If you do all of that, I think it creates a nice and calm atmosphere for working and sets a sense of professionalism.

Milgod likes this.
  2. qforshort

qforshort New commenter

Thank you so much. This was so helpful. I appreciate you taking the time.

3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I've done two moderation meetings today and the teachers who went away happiest were those who knew their pupils' writing the best and who had taken the time to record (in a variety of different ways) where each element of the applicable standard was best evidenced.

E.g 'creating atmosphere? Right, turn to the 11th April and see the opening paragraph to the narrative...' etc.

If you know where the shifts in formality are, SHOW them to the moderator straight away, don't leave them fumbling though a pile of books. If you don't know where they are, it's not the moderator's job to find them for you...

4. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

Thanks. So I don't need to actually make sure I have six pieces that evidence all the standards so long as I can show they are meeting them all?

5. qforshort

qforshort New commenter

Super. Thanks very much for responding. That was really helpful.

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You don't need to have ANY one piece (or pieces) which evidences ALL of the standards. But you do need evidence of all the standards across each pupil's portfolio of evidence.

7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Some might find this useful: https://bso.bradford.gov.uk/Schools/CMSPage.aspx?mid=3437

Click on 'Moderator STA training PPT'

This is the from the STA moderator training that has been delivered nationwide. Particualry useful: The exact info on how many shifts in formality must be identified and the Dispelling the myths section.

Also - check this STA video out:

alexanderosman likes this.
  8. hoppy1989

hoppy1989 New commenter

Had moderation yesterday. Both my GDS were moved down to EXP, but one of them has a chance of going back up with 2 pieces of work. Managing Formality seems to be the key, not punctuation. Our moderators were excellent. They showed how to achieve this better and gave some great advice. They moved one of my WTS up to EXP as well.

Pomz likes this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

'Well managed shifts...'

10. deanow

deanow New commenter

Pomz likes this.
  11. deanow

deanow New commenter

Come across

12. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

However, the original Government guidance expressed that ticklists were not a demand but this seems the only way to evidence writing in the required detail. What a huge addition to workload! And it's all a load of ..... anyway! (That's what I think!)

13. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

No way should teachers be expected to do that. Moderators should look at the books and find the stuff themselves. If they say they can't then the teacher could show you then. It is 100% the job of the moderator to do that. That's the whole point.

g_lt and cassandramark2 like this.
  14. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Lol - adopt this attitude if you don't care whether or not your assessments get agreed...

madeinusa likes this.
  15. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Ticklists are not a requirement - but it helps if you have a exact reference to each element of each standard.

Teachers could decide not do this and take their chances...

My schools do prepare and have had every assessment agreed this year. Worth a couple of hours preparation.

madeinusa likes this.
  16. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

You get to talk to the moderators. If they have an issue, then point it out then. It is just laziness from moderators if they need everything handed to them.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  17. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

At the January training session I attended in central London (which was for LA assessment leaders and their lead moderator) it was stressed that moderators should look for evidence independently and to absolutely NOT be guided by teachers' records/tick lists. If further evidence was needed for a particular standard, then - during the professional dialogue session - teachers could use their own records to quickly find examples and share these with the moderator who can then make a decision based upon the additional information.

18. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Well either way, hope it all goes well.

19. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

We had a very successful moderation on Wednesday afternoon.

There were 2 moderators and 2 teachers and we spent all afternoon together. They started by asking us to show them a GDS we were really confident with. They started with my book - the kind of child I was thinking 'if this isn't greater depth, I don't know what is'.

They were looking for shifts in formality and at first they said they couldn't find any. They explained they were looking for a change in writer's voice - where the writer appears to address a different audience. They looked at a piece of persuasive writing where the child switched form detailed description to addressing the reader (e.g. what are you waiting for?) They also found evidence in a narrative where the child had changed the mood/atmosphere. They were very impressed with it.

They then asked us to show a child who we thought was GDS but weren't sure. The book I showed was accepted as GDS (they could find the same shifts in formality but it still wasn't as good as the first child) My partner teacher's example was not accepted as GDS (but we weren't that surprised as the child was very borderline)

We then looked at EXS and again they could find enough evidence. Nobody was put down from EXS to WTS so we were pleased. I showed them a child I really wasn't sure I had enough evidence for EXS as they hadn't used passive voice anywhere but I explained that I know if I asked that child they would be able to tell me what it was. They accepted this and we agreed the child was EXS.

Overall it went really well. I now know I have definite examples of GDS I can keep and use as examples next year.

The moderators fed back to our headteacher and said they were really impressed with the range of writing they could see in the books and they said we (the teachers) knew the children and their writing really well.

If anyone has any more questions please ask and I will be happy to help.

sara2323 likes this.
  20. deanow

deanow New commenter

What a helpful definition, Captain Oats. Well done on the moderation!