1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 word problems with irrelevant information

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Gila, Dec 9, 2011.

1. hi, can anybody guide me to a website where I can find a 'jigsaw' type word problem for upper KS2? I'm looking for a word problem with lots of clues, to be solved in groups, where the children have to find out which is the relevant/irrelevant information. I once had a really good one involving lots of different bits of information about a car race, but can't find it anymore. Any help much appreciated.

2. Just to clarify, I'm looking for something along the lines of the Zin Obelisk problem, but simpler so I can use it in Years 5/6.

3. There is a book called We Can Work It Out! Which has lots of problem solving, information sorting, clue unravelling type activities (which I think is published by ATM) which might help.

I thought of the Zin obelisk when I read your post! The book above certainly has at least one car race activity (where they solve the clues to work out what order the different coloured cars finish in)

4. sounds like that's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks! Only problem: I need it by Monday, so I was hoping to find something online....

5. thank you so much for so much help, both of you. I checked those links and will use one of them in the lesson, and when I went to the ATM website I discovered I could pay to download the book a pdf, so I've got the group activity sorted. My problem is solved :)

6. Glad to help.
    Hope it goes well!