1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 tuition advice please

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by mhart6789, Oct 31, 2017.

1. mhart6789

mhart6789 New commenter

Hi,

I am a Year 6 teacher in one of my local primary schools. Today I received a phone call from the parent of Year 4 pupil in my school. She asked me if I would be willing to tutor her child in Numeracy as she is struggling. My initial reaction was to agree, however with reflection I am unsure.

What are people’s opinions on tutoring a child in the same school as you work? Is it stepping on the other teacher’s toes? I am new in the school so do not want to cause any tension.

Thanks

2. Chemdry

Chemdry New commenter

Definitely not, but can you ask a teacher you know from another school?

I would also mention to the Year 4 teacher that you were asked, to give them a heads up.

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Personally I wouldn't take it on but that's just me

4. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

I am a tutor and have a personal rule that I don't tutor children at my school as I may well teach them or their siblings at some point.

I did tutor a child last year who I had taught at a previous school and wish I hadn't as the dynamics were very strange. I also tutor from my home office so wouldn't want to give my address or personal phone number/email to parents at my school.

galerider123 likes this.
  5. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

Erm...how does she have your number...?

6. mhart6789

mhart6789 New commenter

Thank you for your advice. I am trying to find somebody from a different school who may be able to tutor the child instead.