1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Topic - Seaside

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nikkif1987, Aug 8, 2011.

1. I have just found out that I will be teaching the whole of KS2 from September, this is new to me as I have only taught Foundation Phase (it's in Wales) for long periods of times.
    I am after any ideas at all to do with the topic The Seaside, it's got to be suitable for the whole of Key Stage 2.
    I thought for Geography a compare and contrast of a Seaside town to our nearest town, but worried this will be too easy for upper KS2. Another idea for Geography is to look at rivers/seas and features, but then is this too easy?
    For Science my ideas are habitats on a beach, but thinking this maybe limited.
    Sorry to seem so dull, I really am looking forward to teaching KS2, and it is going to be good experience, I just want to make sure I am meeting all abilities.

Thanks in advance.

2. I have just found out that I will be teaching the whole of KS2 from September, this is new to me as I have only taught Foundation Phase (it's in Wales) for long periods of times.
    I am after any ideas at all to do with the topic The Seaside, it's got to be suitable for the whole of Key Stage 2.
    I thought for Geography a compare and contrast of a Seaside town to our nearest town, but worried this will be too easy for upper KS2. Another idea for Geography is to look at rivers/seas and features, but then is this too easy?
    For Science my ideas are habitats on a beach, but thinking this maybe limited.
    Sorry to seem so dull, I really am looking forward to teaching KS2, and it is going to be good experience, I just want to make sure I am meeting all abilities.

Thanks in advance.

3. inq

inq

When I used to teach Y6 we used to look at beaches as part of the geography - long shore drift, stacks, arches etc - this was useful
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/riversandcoasts/
    Science - the water cycle
    Looking at industries around seasides compared to industries where you live.
    Literacy - Tourism - adverts TV/ radio/ posters, instructions how to build a sand castle, lots of poetry
    History - How the seaside has changed - what you do there, how you get there, what you wear there, story of Grace Darling
    Maths - Currency - converting currencies to pounds from beach resorts around the world
    Art - observational drawings of things from around the seashore, wet on wet sea pictures
    Science - habitats of animals, how plants have adapted to grow in a seaside environment, how can you stop your ice lolly melting so fast
    DT/ science - design and make a (working) lighthouse
    Music - plenty of sea shanties and singing in parts/ rounds, make sea music
    Geography - where else in the world has beaches
    RNLI site has lots on the history of the RNLI, beach safety with games and sheets available for free
    That's all I can think of off the top of my head but a lot of that should be adaptable for all of KS2.

4. Thank you ever so much, this is a great help!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Rivers and Seas is part of KS2 geography, so shouldn't be too easy at all. I've taught both in year 5 and 6.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Superb ideas from inq.
    As to
    As our local schools all have beaches 'on their doorsteps', in year 5/6 we compare our coast with a coast somewhere else in the world-good link with 'francophone countries' for French or you coud compare Spanish/Italian resorts. IF Germany compare ports.