1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 to KS3 Maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by miss_ellie, Dec 31, 2011.

1. I'm teaching Year 6 for the first time and wanted some advice on how I can best help them prepare for secondary school Mathematics, rather than just aiming for a KS2 'level' in May.
    The class range from children working at 3a/4c... who lack confidence using and applying their skills and are prone to 'forgetting' multiplication tables - my main concern for this group is to get them 'numerate' (Sorry, probably the wrong word): times table facts, mental addition and subtraction, basic written methods.
    ...to a group of 15-20 who achieved 4a-5b in their first Yr 6 SATs paper and I want to move onto more than just 'don't make any mistakes, get a 5a', plus a few children who regularly and independently work at least at a 5a - and, once they work out how to approach something, find it "easy".
    Primary or secondary colleagues - I'd be hugely grateful for any advice or tips!

2. I believe any secondary teacher would thank you if the students knew their times tables inside out and were fluent with mental and written methods for addition, subtraction, division and multiplication; had a sound knowledge of fractions and were competent with a ruler. For your most able I was struck with a thought - give them problems which give them a lot of practice on figuring out how to approach something themselves, perhaps coming up with more than two methods. Nrich have started offering problems at KS4 and KS5 were the onus is on following other people's written strategies, I'd suggest checking if they do this at lower level work.

3. Thank you for taking the time to reply, it's very much appreciated. I love the idea of 'making' them find more than one method - it's a big step up from where we are working now, although they do love having discussions at the end of problem solving about the different ways people did things and whether they were just lucky or had a method!

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

The November/December theme on NRICH was "analysing alternative approaches", and it was across all age groups: http://nrich.maths.org/thismonth/2and3/2011/11 is probably a good starting point for you. (I think I have managed to give you the link to the Nov/Dec page, as of course it's January tomorrow - if not, there's a link to past issues at the top.)

5. have you checked that your higher achievers can do all this - it's all too easy to have enough time to count tables on your fingers in y5/6 if you're good at maths so never to bother to learn tables properly
    how you get them to go back to these basics is another matter of course - i have used bribery, exhortation, competitions, appeals direct to parents, and would reckon to have a less than 50% success rate (of the recalcitrant ones, i mean)