1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 test scores in the new curriculum

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Sep 18, 2015.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Sorry I'm a parent so a going to ask some dim questions probably.

In the new KS2 tests, let's say for maths, is there a document which sets out for definite the maximum curriculum content that could be included in the test (or is this just the KS2 year 6 maths document - nothing from KS3) and an explanation of how results will be scored / graded / labelled / described etc etc.

And for teacher assessments at KS2 is there now something definite, both in the externally tested and non-tested subjects, which sets out definitively the level descriptors (or whatever they are now) and what a child needs to be able to do be awarded each of these levels (OK they're not old NC levels - but working towards, at, exceeding, mastery, beyond mastery, that kind of stuff..... it's still a level in its own way).

Thanks, hope that makes sense!

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

You will get the actual score, how many the child got correct and then the scaled score and whether the child has reached the national average.

I would think the scaled score may change each year.

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

The scaled score won't change each year, but the score that is required to get 100 (or any mark on the scale) will be different. I don't think it'll will be by much though.

This is the only year that we'll have no clue at all about what the score on the test will equate to on the scale. Next year we will at least have an idea.

For instance, say 75 total marks gets 100 on the scale this year (a number picked at random - no idea what it will be). Next year when you do a practice paper, you will know that 75 will probably be close to 100. I highly doubt it will shift by much each year.

As for what will be on the test. There won't be anything that isn't on the KS2 curriculum as far as I'm aware. The new curriculum is set slightly 'higher' compared to the last one anyway.

4. mystery10

I presume that from the scaled score you could look up to see where this placed your child in the population as a whole that year i.e. the centile?

Does anyone know where the definitive documents on this are now please?

So people feel that ifi a child could do what is set out in the year 6 maths it would be higher than a 4b? Is that what teachers mean when they say it's more difficult or higher? But what about children who were already 4c or 4b or 4a in lower KS2 and who will be doing the new tessts in 2015 or 2016 ..... aare teachers expected to do great investigations and problems with them while helping the rest get to a 4a or similar in the basics by the end of year 6?

And on performance descriptors for teacher assesment, has there been a definitive document for 2015-16 since the consulttion document which was out last October time?

5. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

I think the documents you'd be interested in are these:

The test frameworks:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/national-curriculum-assessments-test-frameworks

These set out the content that should be covered in the tests, as well as a descriptor of the sort of content that should be secured (and therefore presumably answered correctly) to each the expected standard.

The interim assessment framework:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/interim-frameworks-for-teacher-assessment-at-the-end-of-key-stage-2

These replace the draft performance descriptors, but for this year only, so who knows what will happen in 2016/17. These set out the minimum expectations students must reach to be graded as reaching the expected standard as part of teacher assessment. They also set thresholds for below and "greater depth" in Writing.

Happy reading!

6. mystery10

Thank you for those links. I have looked at those and also some other documents e.g. the sample test questions, which were placed on the STA website in the last few months.

Under the old curriculum, what kind of levels would you have placed the questions within those three sample maths papers at? To my own inexperienced eye, none of the questions looked anything like old primary level 6 KS2 test paper questions either conceptually or content-wise - much easier I felt.

I'm clearly missing something as the message seems to be about how much harder the new maths curriculum is than the old one --- where does this feeling come from? Is there material described as year 6 work now which one wouldn't have expected a 4b child in the past to have covered?

7. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

I agree. Whereas the SPAG stuff is definitely tougher - semi-colons and relative clauses and so on appear on the "normal" paper now which would have been level 6 before, the Maths paper seems not to have much "higher" content on it. Indeed, 40 out of 110 marks will be for arithmetic, which very good mathematicians conquer early in year 5.

8. OG19

OG19 New commenter

Disagree. The maths is harder. I base that judgement on many years of y6 Sats. The question about the formula for cakes is quite early on in one test; in previous papers, it would have just been the basic sum. Similarly, there's a comparing fractions question halfway through the second paper: in the old days, a fractions comparison would come at the end of the test.