1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ks2 teaching experience on essential criteria for deputy head posts

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by helenearl, May 5, 2012.

1. Many deputy head adverts / essential criteria for deputy head positions state that experience of teaching key stage 2 is essential. Why is this? How can someone who is based in an infant school, who meets all of the other essential and most of the desirable criteria, but doesn't have KS2 experience, get through the short listing stage?

2. Many deputy head adverts / essential criteria for deputy head positions state that experience of teaching key stage 2 is essential. Why is this? How can someone who is based in an infant school, who meets all of the other essential and most of the desirable criteria, but doesn't have KS2 experience, get through the short listing stage?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Unfortunately, the school is entirely within its right to make this an essential criterion. It may well be that they have a weakness in KS2 and want to appoint someone with a lot of KS2 experience to the vital post of Deputy Head, in order to support the rapid improvement of one of more year groups.
    That it precludes applications from those with only KS1 experience is neither here nor there as far as the school is concerned - they aren't in the business of providing everyone with the opportunity to apply, just the people with the experience they require.

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

As a primary head I need someone who has experience across key stages. Partly because they'll be asked to model lessons throughout school as an example if good practice and partly because I think leaders need to show staff that they can walk the walk as well as talk the talk. You also need a good understanding of the whole school curriculum. I ask for experience across more than one key stage.
    I would add that if you haven't got that experience you may wish to ask your head to make it a pm target- perhaps you could run a transition project with your junior school and swap classes, job done! Experience doesn't have to be a year spent teaching a ks2 class.