1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 teacher in reception part 2 Love to hear your opinion

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mrszzz, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Beginning to be intrigued by the whole thing.
    I can't help thinking that some things are not standard practice
    As a staff we never plan together (its a 75 place reception unit) one of does one bit, another another and a third another-it's like but three different pieces of different jigsaws put together
    There isn't a writing area-that can't be typical can it.
    But the weirdest thing is one a Friday afternoon all 75 children are sent on to the junior playground for an hour with one member of staff while the other 4 teachers and TAs set up for the next week. Now that must be odd if not verging on the illegal.
    Strange thing is Im beginning to like it despite
    Please let me know your thoughts

2. Beginning to be intrigued by the whole thing.
    I can't help thinking that some things are not standard practice
    As a staff we never plan together (its a 75 place reception unit) one of does one bit, another another and a third another-it's like but three different pieces of different jigsaws put together
    There isn't a writing area-that can't be typical can it.
    But the weirdest thing is one a Friday afternoon all 75 children are sent on to the junior playground for an hour with one member of staff while the other 4 teachers and TAs set up for the next week. Now that must be odd if not verging on the illegal.
    Strange thing is Im beginning to like it despite
    Please let me know your thoughts

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No it doesn't sound at all typical
    I'm pleased it's growing on you because it can be the best job in the world

4. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

Yeah that all sounds a little strange!
    Do you all plan different areas then within the topic and then put them together?
    I'm in a nursery class and although the areas are set out they are not in specific areas of the classroom exluding the creative / malleable area but we consistently have writing opportunities at the table and also within the role play area.
    The whole playground thing does seem a little strange but if its accepted in your school and not one is getting hurt then so be it. We have had some playtimes with N, R & Yr1 all outside with 3 students or a TA so it just depends. On the plus side, I have both sets of nursery doors open for all children if there are other issues.
    Glad you're enjoying!

5. Oh my goodness! I dont know about illegal either but it does sound like a serious incident waiting to happen!!
    How can one person possibly facilitate the play of 75 children - assuming this is an average mainstream intake - there must be a percentage that struggle with social communication and interaction. What about just normal accidents that happen - tripping over/ banging heads/toilet accident etc.
    What happens if there is an incident? Who deals with it? Who then is responsible for the remaining children?
    I think that is incredibly risky - even if it has been fine up to now!
    The planning does sound wierd to me too - although, if it helps you all keep your workloads manageable then I understand why youre doing it. I'm not sure though that I would like someone else doing my planning for me - someone who doesnt know my class like I do. I'd end up redoing/tweaking it anyway!
    Also, you do need a writing area - put one in as soon as you can. It doesnt have to be amazing to get going. Just designate a place, put lots of appealing things in there that will encouragfe children to the table and inspire them to pick up a pen/pencil/paper. Mine love sharpening and post it notes. Highlighters are a hit and so are the stickers I pull out of my sons old Cbeebies magazine. I have put some common HfW up in there and all of their names. When ever they do anything in the 'writing area' I give them their name card and remind them to write their names on their creations.
    Despite all of this, I'm really pleased youre happy. Being happy in our job is very important - in my opinion, happiness in our job plays a huge part in us being successful in our job.
    Best of luck getting things how you want them!