1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Scribe - would this child be eligible?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by scorpio12, Jun 12, 2019.

1. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Hello. I currently tutor a Year 5 child who has dyslexia. I did a Year 6 practice SATs paper with her this week to gauge an understanding of how she might find a reading comprehension paper. Her comprehension is generally good although she struggled with spelling. She is able to copy but will try to avoid it.

She wrote the answer 'Walliams didn't miss a training session' as 'Walliams diden't mis a trang seong'. Would this be marked incorrect as the spelling is far off the actual words? When I asked her to find the actual words and copy them then she spelt training session correctly. Many other words which were in the text were spelt incorrectly such as 'oyl' for 'oil' - but these at least were phonetically plausible in general.

Would a child with difficulties be eligible for a scribe or not as she can copy (although reluctant to do so) and has no physical difficulty with regards to writing? Thank you.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

No, but it would be possible to transcribe her work afterwards if it is impossible to understand.

3. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Thank you that is good to know as think that will be necessary.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

But you are tutoring her? so it would be down to the school, you wouldn't have any input?

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

If she has additional problems ( slow reading speed or poor working memory) she may be eligible for additional access arrangements which might include a scribe and/or additional time. We test all our children who might be eligible at the beginning of year 6 as you also need lots of evidence that such support is normal classroom practice. You might want to suggest to parents that they inquire about Access Arrangements for year 6.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Just to clarify @dunnocks I am just tutoring her so wouldn't be putting forward the application but wanted to advise the parents correctly regarding a scribe. Thank you @CarrieV. Yes she has a diagnostic assessment which confirms slow reading speed and poor working memory. Writing speed not tested as of yet but imagine would be slow as well. It was more the issue of the scribe that I was unsure of as no physical problem, although her work can be hard to understand. The option for an adult at school to transcribe her work after would be the ideal situation I think so will be advising her parents to talk to the relevant staff at school regarding this. Thanks again.

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

parents wouldn't have any input. It comes from the school.

8. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Thank you - yes I understand that the school manages this. The parent just wanted to be informed about some of the potential options that might be possible for her daughter as she worries about her. She will be meeting with the school early next year. My question about the scribe has been answered - many thanks.

9. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

You're doing the right thing in asking. It is in the child's AND the school's interest to transcribe her answers so I'm sure they will.

10. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Thank you it is great to know.