1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Science Club Ideas

Discussion in 'Science' started by lwst, Mar 7, 2010.

1. I am planning on starting a science club for KS2 and was wondering if anyone has any good ideas or experiments to share. Some I have already thought of are:
    Testing household acids and alkalis (lemon juice, bicarbonate of soda) using red cabbage juice.
    Electricity - condutors (HA- make pressure switch), static electricity bending water, picking up tissue paper
    Building bridges
    Separating tecinques

Thank you

2. Hi there,
    I've started a science club with KS3 this year (year 8), and I understand how difficult it is to keep coming up with ideas!
    We've been looking at forensic science for the past half term...could you adapt any of those techniques? you could maybe look at fingerprints, footprints (sand impressions/plaster casts), chromatography etc. I got some fake blood and looked at how the diameter of the blood spatter is affected by the height the blood is dropped from

<u>To go with your bridges idea:</u>
    1. Bridges made out of a single piece of paper and a limited number of paperclips - winner is the structure that holds most 1p pieces
    2. Use cocktail sticks/spaghetti and marshmallows to build the best 'tower' structure for holding 1p pieces (again!)

<u>Egg parachutes:</u>
    Challenge pupils to prouce a parachute that will prevent an egg from smashing when dropped from a window. Pupils could experiment with different types of materials for the parachute, or experiment with creating a holder for the egg to protect the egg as it falls

Those are all I can thin of at the moment, but as I think of more I'll add them if you like. I hope some of those ideas might be useful [​IMG]

Sian

P.S.
    If you PM me I have some really great e-books full of simple science experiments designed by Dr Mark. Most of them use simple equipment that you could find at home, so might be good for KS2. All the experiments have an explanation of the science behind them, and a lot of them have extension ideas for turning the experiment into an investigation. I could send them to you if you give me your email address.

3. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

I wrote an outline for KS3 for us...some ideas that may work:

burying those balsa wood "fossil" skeletons in plaster of paris and then digging them up and piecing them together.

fruit dna strands (you can find that online)

possibly pH rainbows...depends what you have

secret messages with lemon juice (or fire writing depending what you have again)

fingerprint brushing (using sharpenings from pencils)

paper kettles

any nature type things that are safe

you can download star chart (planisphere) which is fun but takes some help to cut the circles and a test run to figure it out! http://www.childrensuniversity.manchester.ac.uk/interactives/science/earthandbeyond/discovermore/assets/planisphere.pdf

4. Try having them produce a newscast on a suitable (exciting) subject, eg - volcanoes (from Ptolemy through Krakatoa to Mt ST Helens), or why we need food standards? (See the poisoning in Bradford in 1850s, Minamata). Advanced ICT is used at all stages, from gathering information, obtaining images and drawing displays, recording the actual newscast and finally for editing.

5. They could find out which plastic bags (from supermarkets) are the strongest / weakest. They will have to think through a system to ensure 'fair test' . We use this as an end of year project for Y8 or even Y12 (with more rigour & more maths).
    we get equal sized samples of the bags to be held firmly at one end & then pulled evenly, so they don't just tear around a hole where a mass has been attached. We take readings of the length the sample has extended after each mass attached - until the sample splits. Then pupils make a poster attaching some of the the torn samples, some 'fresh' samples & bar charts to show which supermarkets bags are the strongest.
    Can do the same with tights, knitting wool, liquorice laces, mars bars, crunchies, curly wurlies.....
    Another Y8 project we do is to give the pupils some 'random' small objects such as a model car, AA battery, small stone, block of metal etc & then, using the prinipal of moments, known masses, a pivot and a long plank, they have to work out the masses of these small objects. The pupils who get the smallest %errors get prizes.

6. Hi there!
    Sorry, it's been ages since I logged on here. If you send me your email address I'll email you the ebooks if you still want them [​IMG]
    Sian

7. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

Hi
    Here are some of the activities we did with our science club...
    • Bath bombs (sodium Bicarb, citris acid, food colouring)
    • Lava Lamps (Oil, water, food colour, alka seltzer tabs)
    • Hover Crafts (CD, Balloon)
    • Steady Hand game (basic circuit equipment and some wire for them to bend)
    • Chromotography
    • Walking on Custard (cornflour, water in a baby bath)
    • Chemical Water Garden (Sodium Sillicate, metal chloride crystals)
    • Fire writing (Sodium Nitrate)
    • Sparklers (Magnesium powder on wooden splints)
    • Urine Analysis (Make differnt samples from water and food colour and test each for protein, starch, ph, colour, Odour)

8. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

• Fire writing (Sodium Nitrate)
    [*] Sparklers (Magnesium powder on wooden splints) You are joking!!! I thought this was for a primary school!
    Try these
    http://archive.planet-science.com/experiment/downloads/lbe_full.pdf
    but better still join the Association for Science Education and look at Primary Science Review.
    Better still buy the ASE booklet Be Safe and use some suggestions from there.Also if you are a state school as if you are a member of CLEAPSS as there should be primary newsletter with suggestions,better still all their guides and booklets. ( May be sitting in the Heads office or at "County Hall"as no-one knows how to distribute them!)
    Ring them on 01895 251496 and ask if you are on their mailing list
    http://www.cleapss.org.uk/

9. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

Must have missed that, no need to be rude tho.......

10. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

You could make a planisphere - it's a bit fiddly but I think nice they can take them home to use with parents or perhaps borrow a telescope to use on a dark evening if it's after school? Secondaries had the chance to get one for free a couple of years ago so perhaps your local secondary (or one of them) may lend one as a nice link between you! Here's a template for one: http://www.childrensuniversity.manchester.ac.uk/interactives/science/earthandbeyond/discovermore/planisphere_video.asp

11. Id really appreciate some experiment ideas that you talk of. My email is teresa.mcquade@arden.stockport.sch.uk

NAPoulton likes this.
  12. Robin65

Robin65 New commenter

Hi Sian
    I have just seen this post. I would love a copy of your ebook if you are still offering. I am busy planning my next half term's Science club activities. My email is shirl.kiss@btinternet.com
    I apologise if this is not available any more.
    Thanks in advance

13. Desiree Woods

Desiree Woods New commenter

We did a whole 1/2 term on milk - make cheese, butter and yogurt. taste testing milk with different amounts of fat.
    Jelly also kept us going for a while - testing different strengths, testing how different fruits stop it from setting.
    Getting your club to help sort the science equipment is also good fun, as is just looking at fish from the supermarket - camouflage/how they breath
    And whatever you do don't forget mentos in cola! (fair test by changing the type of sweet or change the type of fizzy drink) ... my group ask to do this again and again.
    Loads of ideas on line - enjoy!

14. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Established commenter

Many good ideas have been given but a good source of chemistry ideas can come from the Royal Society of Chemistry website, in particular the 'Chemistry Club' handbooks 1 and 2. They are both on line and some of the experiments can be applied to primary school pupils. Making Roman and Eygptian glue comes to mind, you could also extend this to testing its strength. I also think kitchen chemistry could provide some good ideas, this is another RSC publication.