1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ks2 SATs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by poncho1, Mar 14, 2019.

1. poncho1

poncho1 New commenter

Hello,
    I am year 5 teacher and was told by a year 6 teacher today that by the end of year 5 the children should be able to pass a year 6 SAT at expected level. I just wanted to know how far this is true.

Thanks

2. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

It's not true.
    There is a considerable Y6 content. That is why most schools would not 'waste' the most recent test as a mock Sat at the very beginning of Year 6.

Shadow0503 and cassandramark2 like this.
  3. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

And what does that say about Year 6? Potentially a year in which the majority of children make no discernible progress, but spend lots of time doing test base questions?

4. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

Absolutely NOT true. Been in Y6 for ten years and would never expect them to be able to pass a y6 paper at end of Y5. Wish they could then it would make Y6 s doddle. Just not the case though. Like the

cassandramark2 likes this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The expected level is, by definition, the level expected in May of year 6. It can't possibly also be the level expected in July of year 5.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  6. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

Absolute nonsense.

7. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

And yet this is done in many schools.

8. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

No not true!

9. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I think that maybe the teacher is trying to say that a lot of the content on Y6 papers is actually related to the Y3/4/5 curriculum... so they should be pretty close to reaching EXS...