1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 SATs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Blimper, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Blimper

Blimper New commenter

How many marks does anyone think are needed to be classed as
    "high school ready" in the reading, maths and SPAG tests?!

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

No idea this year, could be anything!

3. MathsWhizz91

MathsWhizz91 New commenter

We won't find out until after the children sit the tests unfortunately. Baring in mind, the children typically needed to get 45/46/100 in maths to get a level 4 in previous years, I have said to my team that it might be around the 55/110 mark to say that the children are achieving "expected" progress, but we are aiming for 60/110 to be sure; hopefully!

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We had a go at the tests to see "how we got on"! Scores for maths ranged from 21 to 89 and the GAPS went from 19 to 51, we have a long way to go!!

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

When we did the sample tests we found the children came out A LOT lower than other years have done on previous practice papers.

The Grammar was the worst. Maths . . .yes, they can pick up some marks on the arithmetic, but the reasoning papers are much tougher.

I was wondering how others scored - would be great to share.

Our maths scores ranged from 6-94 (two thirds of the year got below 50 though)
    Spag - majority of the children were between 17-25 (just on the grammar part)

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I only have 9 year 6's but here are mine!
    sample test scores.PNG

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Child I is SEN, the others are not!
    Child C is dyslexic, the others are just **** at spelling!

8. Milgod

The maths looks a lot better than ours (it's not a great year group this year), but at least the grammar is similar - makes me feel better (sorry).

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I gave mine a rocket after the maths paper 1 ( which is why most of the scores improved!) but they just found the grammar ( and spelling) hard going! I'm going to have another go in Feb and (hopefully) see an improvement

10. Milgod

What are you going to test them on Carrie?

The annoying thing is, I don't think previous SATs papers will help much, as this year seems to be so different.

I have bought a book from Gapps that has papers which seem to be like the new style. Hopefully they;ll be just as tricky.

11. OG19

OG19 New commenter

I'm not sure that the "pass mark" (whatever that means anymore) will be any different to previous years i.e. 47% has usually just been enough (old 4c) so 47% of whatever the total score for the new tests should suffice. I can't see that being higher because the test is much harder so if you made the "pass mark" 60%, you're expecting the national average to get 60% of a much harder test which is not going to happen.

As for practice papers, CGP have an excellent collection of arithmetic and reasoning tests which are based on the pilot tests.

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We will do the same sample test again, just to see what the difference is! I also have the CGP papers s will do a couple of those too.
    I think the "pass mark" will be at least 55%, if not more!

13. MathsWhizz91

I agree! I think the pass mark will rise to roughly 55%.. It is just so confusing though isn't it? If they raise the difficulty and the pass mark, it is only going to result in more schools being deemed inadequate. Defeats the point doesn't it as the UK's education system will appear to have got worse on paper!

14. MathsWhizz91

Also, Ii love the CGP maths papers- There are lots of packs available from there and they look very similar to the new style maths sats papers.
    I doing a set of practise papers with my lot this week- dreading to see what the results may be. I teach the lower set.

15. gjcmjc

gjcmjc New commenter

Posted this under English and was told to comment here. You've sort of answered the questions I have but what I'm concerned about it why are we are trying to teach stuff that degree English students don't even need?

In December we did the KS2 sample grammar punctuation & spelling English tests 2016 for our end of term test. Unfortunately the children all went down from the 2 previous tests - some by 43 marks! Loads in the -20 and -30 range too. Has anyone else trialed these and what did you think? Do 11 year-old's really need to know what past progressive or what a verb's subjunctive form is? At lunchtime today the staff were trying to get their heads round the harder ones before we helped the kids do their corrections. HELP.

16. Milgod

The pass mark will most certainly rise, seeing that before it was based on a 4c whilst this new test (100 on the scale) will be much more like a 4b.

I've never been worried about SATs before, but with the year group I have, the new tests and the unknown factor . . . well, it's not as much fun as usual.

17. OG19

OG19 New commenter

I find the grammar test pretty spiteful to be honest. To put a collective noun like "children" in the question about possessive apostrophes (pilot test question 9) is setting children up to fail.

18. polly2

polly2 New commenter

We did the sample, came out pretty badly. Hating this year group - I keep getting complaints that I am working them too hard yet if they don't make much progress then the same people complain that I am doing a bad job. So fed up tonight.

19. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

Q36 could be interesting if the teacher has just had their 37th birthday!

20. Blimper

Blimper New commenter

I'm glad it's not just me who is feeling the added pressure of the unknown this year. I have just done the first reasoning paper from the Government's example ones and have marks ranging from 6 - 33!! Started to analyse what we can/can't do and there is a massive range of topics. We have an awful lot to do and the panic is really getting to me!