1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 SATS Year 6 Writing Teacher Assessment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Amethyst01, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Hello,

I was just wondering what people are using to level year 6 writing? As KS2 writing is now going to be a teacher assessed level that will be agreed at moderation I thought it may prove useful to share ideas. I have been using the APP documents and some sub levelled literacy target documents that I wrote myself. What is everyone else using?

2. Hello,

I was just wondering what people are using to level year 6 writing? As KS2 writing is now going to be a teacher assessed level that will be agreed at moderation I thought it may prove useful to share ideas. I have been using the APP documents and some sub levelled literacy target documents that I wrote myself. What is everyone else using?

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Independent extended writing levelled using APP for every child every week, one piece of "SATs" writing every short term , levelled using SATs mark schemes plus 2 further lots of SATs writing during the 2 whole school assessment weeks we have. Additional evidence from other subjects, using APP ( but not much of this![​IMG])
    We're also doing the writing test too[​IMG]

4. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

You HAVE to do the writing test, it is there to INFORM teacher assessment for writing. There is also a specfic level 6 writing task to do as well. I am very cautious about the level 6 writing - it seems to be an hour straight into which the child has to complete 2 pieces of writing, no break in between. fells like my Alevel history exam 4 essays, 3hours.... Go
    we do an unaided peice of writing every half term and in Y6 2 each half term (one fiction and one non fiction) there are assessment grids and ladders on the internet (just search) you need something generic - if you only use the sats marking schmemes then it is a points score specific to that task.
    however - i am not using work from other subject areas and i don't agree with the practice. work in science, history, RE and Geography should be aimed at learning the skills applicable to that subject and not at more writing for writing sake. Many pieces of work in my class will be a joint group or paired effort so I wouldn't use them as evidence for one child.