1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 SATS thread. (The week we all hate!)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Bobiyexew47, May 12, 2012.

1. Paper B was an absolute STINKER! From question 13 onwards!

2. Totally agree. Paper B was really really tricky in comparison to A and the mental. We're one of the schools that are on Mr Gove's forced academy agenda list. So we really need to do well. Last year's y6 teacher said that this year's paper was much harder. I'm now wondering if the threshold will be raised considerably so that more schools can fall into his evil plans to destroy education.

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Funny how we all see things differently. I thought B was very easy, and so did my class. Overall these years SATs have been easier than last year by a long way.

4. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Dreadful paper B. From 13 onwards too long winded.

5. nacca

nacca New commenter

Totally agree!

6. rek45

rek45 New commenter

Me too! Horrible - borderline children really struggled.
    Yesterday all completed within time. Today loads didn't get onto last few pages!

7. I agree. Far to much to do in the time. Some of my more able, who have been consistently performing at a high level 5 all year, didn't get finished and were gutted about it. But.... they're finished! Woo hoo!!!! Well apart from the poor blighters who are doing Level 6 papers next week that is.... [​IMG]

8. Last year paper B was much easier. Coverage of curriculum quite considerable over the2 written papers. Fair though, nothing new, other than the 'venn' diagram. I must have seen that co-ordinates question too many times, think the people who write these papers just stole that one from test base! Maybe they are feeling the austerity measures too!

9. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

So did mine! I thought it was the easiest paper B for years!

10. Two of my pupils were not given mirrors by mistake and couldn't answer the question on symmetry. Is there anything I can do?

11. sallymgoodman

sallymgoodman New commenter

One of my 3/4 waverers put his hand up and said that he wanted to put that they looked scary, but had been told that he shouldn't base an answer on an illustration....
    In the end he put that the people were worried about being hit on the head by the stick...

12. Sorry had to chuckle - this reminds me of a Monty Python sketch [​IMG]

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm not in Y6 currently but I took a group of the lower ability readers out to do their maths papers. Have to say that they were the easiest maths papers I've seen for a while. The co-ordinates question, for instance, is usually much harder. The later questions on paper B may have looked more long-winded due to the wording but the maths wasn't difficult. Most of the children in my group coped well once the questions were read to them.

14. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

And finally...today the science (yes we were a lucky school, specially selected for the science papers). Kids found the paper ok, it was very very wordy though, I had so many children asking for help with the reading of the questions; but what I am worried about is how they are marked. I'm pretty sure they are marked by a computer, so many of my kids changed so many answers and scribbled out joining lines, my worry is that if this is marked by a computer is it going to mark them wrong if they are not clear!?! Any ideas?
    I couldnt agree more. We also did the science and my class of 98% EAL and many of them beginner EAL really struggled with the sheer amount of words on the page. I felt so sorry for them. They ahve worked so hard this week and then 2 papers today is just a killer. i feel like I have let them down as so much time was spent on literacy and maths that they were not fully prepared for the amount of language in the paper. we have also been told to focus on science skills all year which then does not match up with the knowledge that they have to learn for the test.
    I was also wary about the computer marking. I am not sure how it works. Is it looking for key words or what? Do you know if we get the papers back?

15. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

spent friday looking for enough 2b pencils for the maths tests on tuesday. have raided the art equipment to get enough spares (just in case)

16. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

L6 papers specify 2b pencil and black pen not gel pen or glitter pen (killjoy)

17. angrypuppy

angrypuppy New commenter

been wondering this too - found last years Level 6 papers but not this years does anyone know if they are or going to be available?

18. NIXIEH

NIXIEH New commenter

Is this in the guidance? I have kids sitting the L6 maths tomorrow with normal pencils!!!

19. This year's L6 maths papers aren't to be done until tomorrow so I'd be a little concerned if you COULD get them online now.

20. Yes it is in the guidance!