1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 SATS - sick child berated in front of class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, May 12, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I think if that did happen, it would show how much stress and pressure schools are under. :-S

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No, but it is a shame that a child who was clearly able to come in and do sats didn't do so of her own accord.

It is a shame the parents didn't bring her in.

It is a shame there is such a thing as sats in the first place.

It is a shame heads are under so much pressure they react in that way.

The whole situation is horrid, but a sign of the times. Child will get over it...

3. - Headaches can vary from a slight discomfort to a crippling migraine, how are you able to make the judgement that this child was "clearly able to come in and do sats" without even seeing the child?
    - The parents made the judgement that their child was unwell enough to be kept at home.
    - Yes, it is a shame that there is such a thing as sats in the first place.
    - Again, it is a shame that heads are under such pressure, HOWEVER, as members of staff in schools we are in loco parentis and should not be shouting at a child in this situation. Would it not have been better to ask if she was feeling better, perhaps to praise her for doing the tests even though she felt unwell?
    - "Child will get over it..." - shouldn't have to

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I am a Reception teacher. We have our own problems but fortunately don't have anything to do with SATs. I feel so sad when I see the Hall full of desks for KS2 SATS, I did the 11 plus but this took, as far as I remember, a day and a half and in my school there was no pressure. SATs seems to go on for ages.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Because she did come in and do the test.

6. Erm, how exactly does that Head have the right to go and get a child from home and bring them to school to sit a bloody exam? And, why did the parents let it happen? Who cares that Mr X and Mrs Y had headaches; they're adults, not 10/11-year-old children. The poor child was probably terrified- imagine being that age and being summoned by your headteacher at your own front door. I'm guessing she is a level 5 child...

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Sorry but it doesn't sound credible do you work for the DM?

8. Not sure if that qualifies as "clearly" able.
    "Able under extreme duress", I would have thought.

9. You're right, it is incredible.
    My workplace is in the username.

10. I have seen a head collect sick kids from home to do sats. When your career prospects depend on it maybe morals and duty of care goes out of the window. It is not just the heads, consider the ECaR personnel faking children's progress so they keep their cushy 1-1 jobs on a big pay packet.

11. Hettys

Hettys New commenter

this post has confirmed to me that we made the right decision to take our son out of the state system. no concern for the child, only concern for the schools position in league tables. What a sorry state of affairs

12. Hear hear.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Neither of us knows though do we? She could be a malingering time-waster who was more than capable of coming in. Or a child with a severe migraine who suffered necessary psychological trauma.

As it is apparently 'hypothetical' it hardly matters as no child has actually be distressed and it hasn't actually happened!

14. No, neither of us knows.
    But one of us has just used the phrase "malingering time-waster" about an 11 yr old child, hypothetical or not.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

As it is a hypothetical situation I can call her anything I wish!

Calling a real child a name is one thing, using a term to denote a situation that isn't real about a child who isn't real is a whole different matter.

16. Hettys

Hettys New commenter

did you notice the inverted commas around the word hypothetical?

17. Yes, I am aware that sick kids are collected and brought in for sats in many schools. Although I think this stinks, I do understand the pressure heads are under.
    What really concerns me in this not-very-hypothetical-at-all case is the manner in which it was done, and especially the way the child was treated afterwards.
    On Thursday morning, the same child was told she had better work really hard to make up for the marks she had lost on Wednesday when she did not finish the paper (perhaps due to being ill?).
    In an assembly on Thursday the HT praised all Yr6 children "apart from one person" (pointed glare, directly at child) for giving their all in the sats.
    Maybe in the heat of the moment morals and duty of care can go out of the window, although I would suggest that as professional adults we really should be able to get a grip. I can see no excuse for such spiteful, vindictive behaviour, especially given that the child in question is quiet, well-behaved and has an excellent attendance record.

18. Yes, you can, but it says a lot about you and your attitude to children that you would use such a phrase.

19. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

So what did you do about it? Stand up and defend the child in assembly? Share your feelings with the head later? Reassure the child later that it wasn't their fault? Or just post it on here?

20. I'm not so sure. To be humiliated in front of her peers by an adult who should know better will take some getting over. The Head should be ashamed of himself.