1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 SATS question

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by RJR_38, Jan 15, 2015.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I have just got my first deputy head post and am responsible for assessment - in a 3 form entry school with high numbers of SEN, EAL refugee children.

I have been told that I will need to make sure several children are disapplied from the SATS. What are the criteria for this disapplication and how do I go about it? the yY6 teachers don't know and said it has just been done for them previously

Also, some children use a scribe or reader for maths or will require extra time in the exams as part of regular practice (those who have extra time are dyslexic). Do I need to do anything specific for this?

Sorry for all the questions - I have tried looking online but haven't found anything helpful yet

Thanks in advance

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I suggest you write to write to the DfE, explaining that you have read documents such as the September 2014 one below:

www.gov.uk/.../NC_assessment_quals_factsheet_Sept_update.pdf

Explain exactly what you want to find out and - you never know - you may get straight answers! It does happen sometimes.

One tip: as DH and i/c assessment, you'd be wise, perhaps, not to use the misnomer "SATS" - Key Stage 2 children have never done anything of the sort and never will.

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Thanks markuss - as an exam marker I am quite aware that SATS do not exist and are actually NCTs - however you say this to most teachers and anyone outside of schools directly, they have no idea what you are taking about. Therefore the term SATs is most useful to establish a common discussion point.

I shall certainly take a look at that document though.

Rachel

4. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

5. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Many thanks