1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 SATs - Marking Reviews

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Feenie, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Received the following from Edexcel:
    "Thank you for your email... I can assure you that both the original <font face="Trebuchet MS" size="2">marking</font><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="2"> and reviews processes are necessarily strict ones. All markers undergo rigorous training and have to pass a number of bench</font><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="2">marking</font><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="2"> checks and balances when </font><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="2">marking</font><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="2"> to ensure that they are applying the mark scheme accurately. Furthermore, all scripts that are submitted for reviews are reviewed by a marker senior to the original marker, and all reviews markers are trained a second time on how to apply the mark scheme. Edexcel is confident that the delivery of the key stage 2 national curriculum tests results in 2009 is measurably of a high quality."</font>
    Ring any bells?
    I thanked them and said how reassured I now was (not)!

2. Pretty much verbatim! Just waiting for the process review now - due by 20th Nov. Not expecting much really.....

3. I am in the same position as you. I am absolutely up a height with the ridiculous marking of the writing this year. We sent back ten scripts for re-marking (mainly high level 4 and secure level 5 children who are so gifted and imaginative with a very mature style). The papers have been returned un-touched, with just a sticker saying they have been re-marked. It is outrageous and I am so annoyed. It is unfair to my pupils who have worked their socks off and now our school has to live with the data, suggesting that we have only a handful of top 4/level 5 writers. Joke.

4. I agree. In 2009, my first year teaching in year 6, I was so surprised and happy that many of my secure level 4s achieved a 5 in their writing...I was always a 'hard marker' but there were no way some of these children were 5s, but hey; it was great for them and us...now this year I am bitterly disappointed for some children as their papers came back unchanged (apart from a reading paper that couldn't be argued with ) when some of children were, and in my 'harsh marking' opinion still are level 5s! It's so disheartening!