1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 SATs - Marking Reviews

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Feenie, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Feenie
    Where did you get the NAHT thing?
    Huw

2. Was told by a journalist.
    Have sent in my complaint about the whole debacle to complaints@edexcel.com, and have applied for the process review.
    Anyone else any progress to report?

3. I'm not paying for a process review - don't feel I can justify wasting £100 on a prejudged process.
    I'll be doing your route to edexcel - and I'm not paying the bill for the job till they come out and put it right.
    Cowboys!
    What's frustrating is the whole thread, where it's not a pile of "scrap the SATs and overthrow the system" postings (though I could live with both.) We are all actually giving sober reflection on the capacities of children where we've applied professional judgement, and been met by a brick wall. It feels deeply unprofessional.

4. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

My son's junior school had 7 children upgraded from a level 4 overall in english to a level 5. There were very basic errors like marking a correct spelling as incorrect. My son got 5 marks added to his reading paper too.

5. starlightexpress

starlightexpress New commenter

I now face the task of comparing TA writing to the SATs score in preparation for OFSTED who will no doubt query my TA. Is there a major national downtrend with writing this year or anything I can say to explain why SATs writing in so low compared to reading? I have picked up child level and cohort level issues and of course most appeals we went for were upheld.

6. In our case, the statistics of 63% L5 Science, 50% L5 Maths, 77% L5 reading and only 7% writing should speak for themselves.
    Cassandra - are you still trying the process review?

7. Just e-mailed edexcel the following:
    I wish to record my anger and disbelief at the (latest) Key Stage 2 SATs marking debacle. I am headteacher of just one of countless schools who have been served a downright injustice that has deeply affected the lives of children, parents and pupils. Our level 5 writing results were an utter nonsense and this was confirmed by a local authority review of the test papers. Not one of the scripts was altered by even a single mark up or down as a result of the marking 'review' -simply incredible. There is, in fact, little credibility left in the SATs process. When is there going to be a public admission that the systm has failed and how are schools supposed to work sensibly within the mess of erroneous comparative data?
    Certainly have no intention of paying for the group review, process review or anything else - I have also approached Anne Robinson on 'Watchdog':
    I am the head of a primary school and one of hundreds who have complained to the QCDA about this year's SATs marking -pupils given ridiculously low scores and then having to pay for a marking 'review' that changes nothing. In our case we KNOW the results were wrong and our local authority have said so. The public, especially parents, have a right to know about this mass 'rogue trading' by a government agency.
    Anyone prepared to rip into the QCDA on a tv programme? Strength in numbers worked with First Choice holiday firm the other night!

8. I'm in. Who do I email?

9. <font face="Times New Roman">Just e-mailed edexcel the following:</font><font face="Times New Roman">I wish to record my anger and disbelief at the (latest) Key Stage 2 SATs marking debacle. I am headteacher of just one of countless schools who have been served a downright injustice that has deeply affected the lives of children, parents and teachers. Our level 5 writing results were an utter nonsense and this was confirmed by a local authority review of the test papers. Not one of the scripts was altered by even a single mark up or down as a result of the marking 'review' -simply incredible. There is, in fact, little credibility left in the SATs process. When is there going to be a public admission that the systm has failed and how are schools supposed to work sensibly within the mess of erroneous comparative data? </font><font face="Times New Roman">Certainly have no intention of paying for the group review, process review or anything else - I have also approached Anne Robinson on 'Watchdog':</font><font face="Times New Roman">I am the head of a primary school and one of hundreds who have complained to the QCDA about this year's SATs marking -pupils given ridiculously low scores and then having to pay for a marking 'review' that changes nothing. In our case we KNOW the results were wrong and our local authority have said so. The public, especially parents, have a right to know about this mass 'rogue trading' by a government agency.</font><font face="Times New Roman">Anyone prepared to rip into the QCDA on a tv programme? Strength in numbers worked with First Choice holiday firm the other night!</font>

10. 'Tis done.

11. I am talking to a journalist who is doing an article about this - he wrote a book called 'The Tyranny of Testing' and will be looking for plenty of cases to quote.

12. I would be very happy to speak to her if she wishes.

13. He is focusing on the reading v writing disparity so your 77% v 7% is a crucial piece of evidence!

14. Thanks, I've emailed him.

15. Yep I'm in there! Anyone good on human rights legislation fancy taking this to the European Parliament?

16. Thank you to everyone who helped with this one.
    There's more to come.
    Helen

17. Interesting, dizzi. So why do you think the appeals aren't being upheld?
    More in TES this week:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6024640#
    (Have no idea why that link won't work).
    Does this story, back in January, have any bearing on this year's events?
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6006935
    Have had reply from my formal complaint to Edexcel, 'we use the highest standard of markers', yadda yadda. Have you had yours yet, famusshamus?
    Now awaiting process review outcome - more flannel, I expect.[​IMG]