1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 SATs - comma sizes and orientation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tedhat, Sep 14, 2018.

1. tedhat

tedhat Occasional commenter

Anyone else had issues with comma sizes and orientation in the KS2 SATs this year? We had one child who was awarded the mark for his comma in one question but, for two subsequent questions asking for commas, did not get the marks, both originally and on a remark (and the remark continued to award the mark for the first comma question even though, arguably, that comma was slightly 'bigger' and pointing even more so in 'slightly the wrong direction'!?!)...

Just completely flummoxed - his answers are totally unambiguous and they clearly look like commas and are in exactly the right place. It makes it soooo hard to teach - now, as well as explaining (and repeating endlessly) how and where to use commas, we need to find time to measure both their size and their angle!

2. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

Lordy me: what has the world come to? I feel your pain.

3. LeftTheBuilding

LeftTheBuilding Occasional commenter

:eek: speechless!

squashball likes this.
  4. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

Yeah - being speechless means we can leave out questionable speech marks! It's pathetic.

Bumptious likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Remind me never, ever, ever to go back to state school year 6 teaching!

Bumptious likes this.