1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 SATs - 25% Additional Time in Reading Test...Split?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by inq, Apr 10, 2011.

1. inq

inq

I don't think that you can do that, I've always understood that it is 25% for each section so 25% extra on the reading (3.75 minutes) and 25% extra on the answering (11.25 minutes). It would be good if you could! I'd phone QCDA for clarification.

2. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

I think poster two is correct - 25% extra on each section. That's how we work it. HOWEVER, once you start the comprehension time, there is nothing to prevent the child getting on with reading the booklet if they haven't finished (although you can't direct them during the test - make sure they are clear on this beforehand).

3. I always thought that the 25% was only for answering the questions in the reading paper? I have always given the normal 15 minutes for reading and only added 25% on when the children are answering the questions but would be great to know if they can also get it for the reading?

4. I agree with this as well! Make sure you save the evidence that the children are entitled to the extra 25% - i.e. the NFER Nelson or whatever the test was that you used to determine their eligibility as you can be asked for this if you are moderated.

5. 25% time can also be at the school's discretion for children with a statement or if a professional such as an ed psych has recommended it . I'm also under the impression that it is 25% extra time for each section.

6. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I don't think it is entirely at the school's discretion. We had a recommendation from the ed psych and this was stated in the report, but we still had to fill out the application for extra time (part B criteria). The people making the decisions also wanted to know what tests the ed psych had used in making his assessments.
    If you're in any doubt at all, ask your head, ask your LA's assessment team, or ring up the helpline number in the ARA. That way your back is covered because you checked on the official channels. Sorry to sound serious but a colleague found herself in some serious trouble because she'd made assumptions about extra time and and amanuensis and hadn't checked the rules properly, then found herself facing moderators.
    Back to the OP, in previous years we have been advised that the extra time is per section, but there's nothing to stop the child continuing to read for the first 11 minutes of the question time - as long as you're not advising them of this during the actual test (think someone had already said this).

7. Thanks all for the messages...all of which are sensible!
    Interestingly, I have approached the QCDA officially and have received a response I was not expecting! It's good news for me, and any others who wish to take this route, yet surprising that I HAD to dig for this info!
    Here's the response:
    Thank you for contacting us about the use of extra time for National Curriculum Assessments. The extra time that is available can be used in any way that you feel will help your pupil in the tests, we do not specify a particular formula for dividing the time, therefore it is acceptable to use all the time for reading if that will help your pupil.

I hope this information answers your question, if you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again, I have included our contact details below.

National curriculum assessments helpline

8. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Good to know! Thanks.

9. I am a TA and have worked in Y6 over 10 years. I now work in reception class. Most TAs have been allocated a child to sit with so they can read out loud if they wish. They are then to go back to the hall to complete their answer sheet.
    The problem is that the child I have been assigned to has extra time and the Headteacher informed me that the 25% was for the answer part only. I queried this with her asking if it wasn't for the reading as well. She said the way she has read it it just means the answer part of the test. So that's how it is. I don't know whether to approach her again.

10. poet

poet New commenter

You're assisting during the reading test? How?!?

11. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

From the Access Arrangements Guide:
    In the English reading test, readers may help the pupil to read general instructions. This includes information on the front cover of the test paper and any directions that are not part of the actual questions. Readers must not read out the reading comprehension text and must not read back any of the pupil’s responses in the English reading test.
    In my experience we have not used a reader for any part of the reading test.

12. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

But it doesn't say that the children can't read the text out loud to an adult. For LA children this can make a huge difference as it does actually make them read the text. And I think it helps them feel more confident - the reading paper can be quite daunting. We've often paired up LA children with an adult who just does a lot of nodding and smiling!

13. poet

poet New commenter

God it's a brilliant idea but had no idea it was ok