1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 SATs 2012

Discussion in 'Primary' started by AycaLacey, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Does anyone know what SATs will be statutory next year according to the new government? I will be starting my new post as a Year 6 class teacher in September 2011 and I can't find any information on this anywhere. Please, any information would be useful as it will be my first time teaching Year 6. I have a planning meeting on Monday and want to be as informed as possible before attending.

Thanks.

2. Have a look for the Bew Report that was issued this week. Looks like Maths won't change but English to have more emphasis on vocab, grammar & spelling. Whilst writing will be teacher assessed. They are just recommendations at this point, nothing set in stone.

3. I am in exactlythe same position as you and am terrified, especially as our results were down this year. Any advice for teaching Year 6 would e gratefully taken onboard![​IMG] Good luck for next term.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

roughly the recommendations are
    Teacher assessment to achieve equal status with testing.

Writing to be teacher assessed based on work throughout year six.

Tests retained for maths and reading, but the reading test to be reviewed for accessibility for all pupils.

Teacher assessment to be published first and transferred to secondary schools earlier.

Small test for punctuation and spelling to be introduced but the writing composition to be the bulk of the judgement.

Scores for reading and writing to be separated out.

Progress to be at least as prominent as attainment in the judgement of school performance.

Authorities and agencies to take much greater account of pupil progress - the headline measure.

League tables heavily criticised and judging schools on any single measure is discredited.

Three year rolling averages to become the norm.

A new measure to address schools with high pupil mobility - looking at the performance of pupils who have been with them for all of year five and six.

Greater emphasis on cross-school moderation at key stage one.

Where pupils are absent during tests through sickness or holiday, heads will be trusted to reschedule the tests at their discretion.

Longer term recommendations to consider computer-based testing and a move to automated marking.

5. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

"Teacher assessment to achieve equal status with testing"
    Will the schools cooperate with this notion?
    It's not a new thing. Legally, Teacher Assessment has always been 50% where there's been an NCT score as well (since NCTs came in in 1995) and 100% in the vast majority of reported end of key stage levels.
    But have the children/parents/governors always been made aware of this? There's often been a pretence in schools that NCT results are more important.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We report both Teacher assessment and test results to parents at the end of both year 2 and 6, with teacher assessments reported for every other year. But OFSTED and SIPs are only interested in the test results-as evidenced last week when OFSTED were in my school and scrutinied test scores but didn't even look at teacher assessments, APP evidence, levelled writing results or inter school moderated levels. So all the " test and teacher levels have equal parity" goes out the window!

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

What do the league tables show? TA or Sats scores?

8. markuss

AycaLacey, I keep getting told off round here for stating the obvious because "everybody knows" (that's what they tell me) that SATs are a myth.
    However, you want to be well informed and it's just possible that nobody's bothered to let you in on the secret.
    Here's the interim ("Progress") Report part of the Bew Review.
    https://media.education.gov.uk/MediaFiles/8/6/8/%7B868C26F0-986E-43AF-A6E7-424BF2C72592%7DKS2Review%20Final%20040411%20progress%20report.pdf
    It's all about Key Stage 2 assessment. It runs to thousands of words. So, guess how many times it mentions the SATs.
    Once. Page 9 where it states that the term is an irrelevant mistake. It then says that it will call National Curriculum Tests "National Curriculum Tests".

9. Milgod

If only there were a way to slap somebody over the internet.

10. markuss

No SATs will be compulsory next year. Here's the interim ("Progress") Report that tells you:
    https://media.education.gov.uk/MediaFiles/8/6/8/%7B868C26F0-986E-43AF-A6E7-424BF2C72592%7DKS2Review%20Final%20040411%20progress%20report.pdf
    It's because children in Primary Schools have never done them - see page 9, the only mention that SATs get. It tells you that it's a myth.
    I get told off round here for stating that obvious fact because by now "everybody knows".
    However, you did say that you wanted to be well informed and I suspect that noone has bothered to let you into the secret (am I right?)

11. Milgod

I am making angry faces at you.

That is all.

12. markuss

Sorry - huge apologies - honestly didn't know I'd got the former message posted - got an error message.

13. markuss

I know it was obvious to you, Milgod but really some people are not that well informed.
    [​IMG]

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Oh well, I shall leave the SAT/NCT discussion and pop off to Vax Essential VEC101 my lounge carpet

15. I'm in Year 6 next year and am going on the assumption that the tests will remain the same in 2012. The DfE haven't responded to the report yet so we don't which of the recommendations they are going to take, and hopefully they will give a decent amount of notice of any changes (hollow laugh). If they decide late in the day that the writing test will be scrapped then great, but I 'm not chancing it!

16. DfE's response https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationDetail/Page1/CM%208144 states that they agree with recommendations to have a short spelling and grammar test (externally marked) and a larger proportion of writing composition based on teacher assessment 'throughout the year'. This will need to be moderated (by who? LAs? What about free schools?) and trialled next academic year. The response contains this sentence with regards to timeframe: 'We will discuss the detailed arrangements for 2012 with the profession and confirm them to schools at the start of the new school year.'
    I'm taking my current Year 5s into Year 6 next year so I'm hoping this might mean we're not going to have to put them through all that stress.