1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Role Play Structure

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EmmaJ18, Jan 20, 2012.

1. EmmaJ18

EmmaJ18 New commenter

I have a role play area in my classroom (Year 3) which is used by a group of 4-7 chn at a time, each group having 1 session a week in there. At the moment it is simply used as a play opportunity completely child initiated - fitting with our current topic they have appropriate resources in there e.g. dressing up clothes, toys, paper and templates for writing/drawing, electrical components for circuits.
    They love going in there and all have their favourite things that they like to do. I would like to introduce something 'more' to the area to get more out of them and actually try to develop a sort of reading/speaking skill or something (as they use the area during a guided reading rotation) - and have a more focussed purpose or structured activity for the area (although I know they do enjoy child initiated too!)
    Does anyone have any suggestions for things they have done/currently do in their role play areas which have worked well at providing more focus and purpose? Thanks

2. EmmaJ18

EmmaJ18 New commenter

I have a role play area in my classroom (Year 3) which is used by a group of 4-7 chn at a time, each group having 1 session a week in there. At the moment it is simply used as a play opportunity completely child initiated - fitting with our current topic they have appropriate resources in there e.g. dressing up clothes, toys, paper and templates for writing/drawing, electrical components for circuits.
    They love going in there and all have their favourite things that they like to do. I would like to introduce something 'more' to the area to get more out of them and actually try to develop a sort of reading/speaking skill or something (as they use the area during a guided reading rotation) - and have a more focussed purpose or structured activity for the area (although I know they do enjoy child initiated too!)
    Does anyone have any suggestions for things they have done/currently do in their role play areas which have worked well at providing more focus and purpose? Thanks

3. lisavicky

lisavicky New commenter

I would leave it as it is becasue the skills they are learning are still really valuable. It is the fact that it is free play that is beneficial and if you make it too structured they can't use their imaginations and develop independent working and development.