1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Roald Dahl Art ideas

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by HellsandBells, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Hiya, hoping for some helpful ideas and/or opinions.
    I'm
    trying to get as much planning done for September as I can before the
    week is out, so I can get on with enjoying my hols. I'm moving into Year
    5, which is my first year in that year group. To start us off, the
    whole school is having a focus on Roald Dahl, and I've already been
    thinking of some ideas for a short topic on him. I'm finding Art quite difficult, as I don't know what would be too hard or easy for Year 5. I'd appreciate any
    advice on what I've already planned or any more ideas!
    -
    Drawing a portrait of Roald Dahl. We would do this by using an A4
    picture of Dahl and splitting it into 16 sections, with children copying
    section by section. Not sure how easy or hard this will be for Year 5
    as I come from infants and Y3!
    - An alternative is to look at the
    drawing style of Quentin Blake, and try to draw a portrait (of Dahl of a
    self-portrait) in his style. Maybe paint it using watercolours.
    - Design and make our own Dream Jars. I think this might be too babyish for Year 5 though, I'm not sure.

What do people think of the ideas so far? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

The last two sound good. There used to be a good Quentin Blake at work video on Teachers TV. Dream Jar is a great idea, not babyish. Yokohama ono's dream/wish tree has people queuing up for hours to add their wish. You can look at artists and boxes, Susan Hiller, Peter Blake, Joseph Cornell.

Using pen and ink for the Blake drawing would be good or drawing with a felt tip and then applying a fine wash of
    water next to the line to get an ink blot effect.

3. I also think that the last two idea's are excellent. Year 5 would love dream jars- so would I!
    Here's a good link to guided reading: read BOY and pick up the descriptive words and phrases used. Draw a portrait of him as a child. Then read 'going solo' and repeat- discuss the differences in the portraits and justify using evidence from the text. The kids would need to be fast readers but a level 4 top group should be well able.

4. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

I did mean Yoko Ono! Damn spellcheckers......

5. paintbrush

paintbrush New commenter

have you been on the official web site? its fab

6. Hello,

I did a topic on chocolate with my Y5 class last year and of course covered Charlie and the Choc Factory as our class book. Our art work consisted of emulating the style of Quentin Blake through pencil and charcoal sketches of the famous characters from the book. I blew up illustrations from the book for them to look at and then they were away - they produced some lovely work! You're ideas sound great though - don't be afraid to try new things :)