1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Results day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NavyAir, Jun 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NavyAir

NavyAir New commenter

After a long time waiting, results day is upon us.

On Tuesday, we're all going to be faced will a difficult situation or two - how do you inform an 11 year old that they're not up to the mark? Last year I had many tears from children in my class, I'm hoping that's not the case this year. I'm very confident that many of the children have achieved what they were supposed to achieve but I'm fearful for one or two. The same one or two children are panicking everyday and worrying. I've told them their results aren't a big deal, but they see it otherwise.

I tend to wait until the afternoon to tell them and then we head outside and do something active to take their minds off them.

How do you fellow year 6 teachers approach results day? What do you do?

lhart4 likes this.
  2. mrcooldude

mrcooldude Occasional commenter

Tell it to them straight, reassure them and then crack on and move on.

Pomz and whitestag like this.
  3. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Our results go in with the end of year reports. They get sent home in a sealed envelope for parents. Parents come to speak to us if they have any concerns. I usually speak to parents before the report goes out if there have been any bad shocks.

lhart4 and galerider123 like this.
  4. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Just be honest with them. Tell them their scores, reassure them that as long as they've done their best, we couldn't ask any more from them. Remind them that there's more to life than test results. Then crack on with play rehearsals or go have a game of rounders.

Sundaytrekker and Pomz like this.
  5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Ours go in the reports in the last week. If there are any results that I see where I think a child might be upset, I'll have a chat with them if I feel it's needed.

Can't wait till that clock strikes midnight on Monday night.

GO36 likes this.
  6. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I already know that one girl is going to be really disappointed with what we have assessed her with for writing. I just couldn't quite say she had reached gds. But we have got a really busy day planned for Tuesday so we won't be able to dwell on the results for too long.

7. jonnym6

jonnym6 New commenter

I don't think my children even know they are due out tomorrow - certainly not mentioned it this half term. Always speak to the children individually to tell them how they have done and then the results also go out with reports on Friday. Half the children in my class had 2 day visits to their new Secondary Schools last week and were given CAT tests on one of the days - so I think they have worked out that these results are pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of their lives - only sadly not for us!

8. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

[QUOTE="jonnym6, post: 12141417, member: 1210210 Half the children in my class had 2 day visits to their new Secondary Schools last week and were given CAT tests on one of the days - so I think they have worked out that these results are pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of their lives - only sadly not for us![/QUOTE]

Not for the secondary schools either in the long run. Their progress scores are calculated from ks2 results.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  9. 3toeddave

3toeddave New commenter

Do the scores actually go on at midnight?

10. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

They usually do, yes.

11. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

And I'll be ready and waiting, as usual.

Pomz and Alenamai like this.
  12. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

How are other Year 6 teachers able to access results tonight themselves? I thought only the head could access.

13. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

Heads have the log in but nothing to stop them sharing it with staff I guess so that's how they can access it.

14. 3toeddave

3toeddave New commenter

late night ahead then!

15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Why on earth could they not have published them at 9:00am this morning?

GO36 and brighton56 like this.
  16. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

I'll be up too. Wouldn't be able to sleep knowing the results were there anyway!

17. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

That would be far too sensible!

Jesmond12 likes this.
  18. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Heads shouldn't share their passwords for this but they can create another account for the year 6 teachers, if they want. Mine always waited until I'd seen the results first. I kind of thought that came with the head's job.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  19. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

That would be far too sensible!

Sorry for the incomplete quote

Alenamai likes this.
  20. youngy228228

youngy228228 New commenter

anyone remember the year they went on hours early!! here is hoping....

tfurlong and Alenamai like this.