1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 reporting SATS results to parents

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissMoreInfo44, Jul 4, 2016.

1. MissMoreInfo44

MissMoreInfo44 New commenter

There does not seem to be a consensus on what needs to be reported to parents this year which is not helpful to us as staff (and frustrating to me as a parent!), so I thought I would share an extract from "The Key". Unfortunately though there is no indication of when regs will be updated or something useful to this effect posted on gov.uk ( or elsewhere). The first section we all know, but the second section, especially the bit underlined in italics, explains how should be applied for new KS2 SATS from 2016.

Hope this is useful folks.

"Reporting KS2 results to parents: requirements
    The Standards and Testing Agency (STA) publishes statutory guidance on assessment and reporting arrangements (ARA) for Key Stage (KS) 2. Section 11 of the guidance explains:

The reports must include results of any National Curriculum tests ...

..The guidance also says that where appropriate, the reports must include results of any National Curriculum tests or public examinations. If National Curriculum test results are not available by the end of the summer term, they must be provided to parents within 15 school days of the headteacher receiving them.

The STA notes that requirements for academies are set out in their funding agreements.

KS2 ARA, GOV.UK – STA https://www.gov.uk/guidance/2016-key-stage-2-assessment-and-reporting-arrangements-ara

Information included in reports: requirements
    Regulations will be amended to reflect changes

A representative from the DfE told us that the regulations will be amended to reflect the removal of National Curriculum levels and the new approach to assessing pupils at the end of KS1 and KS2. This will include an amendment to reflect that there is no national assessment at the end of KS3.

We will update this article when the amended regulations are published. If you would like to be notified when this article is updated, please click the 'Save for later' link at the upper right-hand side of this page.

Schedule 1 of The Education (Pupil Information) (England) Regulations 2005 explains that schools must report the results of any National Curriculum test taken during that year, "by level".

We asked the STA how results should be reported now that National Curriculum levels have been removed.

A representative explained that at the end of KS2, maintained schools must report the following test results to parents:

• The pupil's raw scores
    • The pupil's scaled scores
    • Whether the pupil has attained the expected standard

He added that schools can report comparative information about the attainment of pupils within the school by reporting the percentages of pupils who are working towards, at, or above the expected standard.

We also asked the representative how schools can meet the requirement to report a comparison of their pupils' attainment with national results, without using levels.

He said that the expected standard, which is 100, is set by the STA based on national data. By reporting whether pupils are working towards, at or above the expected standard, schools are comparing their pupils’ results to the national standard.

He explained that schools are not expected to report separate information about their pupils' attainment compared to national attainment in 2016, as national statistics for the end of KS2 tests will not be released until the autumn term
    ."

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Does that mean you're going to need to explain "scaled scores" to parents? Fun.

3. dunkiep

dunkiep New commenter

I can't believe this. It's the icing on the cake that sums up the whole debacle quite nicely. Have you seen the raw/scaled scores today? They seem to bare absolutely no relation to one another at all. I might as well tell parents that a little goblin magicked them up.

4. HJenx74

HJenx74 New commenter

My child has come home with a sheet that indicates whether he has "met or not met" each standard. No raw scores or scaled scores have been provided. Being told by his teacher that he "nearly got full marks" in his SPAG needs reflecting in the narrative, not just met or not met.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Schools must provide raw and scaled scores.

6. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

This reads like a factual statement. I read the ARA today and the legislation and at no point did I read that we must report raw and scaled scores. As the quote says in post #1 we must provide the results of any national curriculum tests which I interpreted as whether they have achieved the standard or not achieved the standard.

We will NOT be reporting scaled scores or raw scores.

7. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

We will be reporting the met not met. The guidance says that parents can ask for raw and scaled scores. We will not be reporting this but if parents ask for it they can have it!

8. LadyoftheIsles

LadyoftheIsles New commenter

The school report will include your child’s scaled scores from any national curriculum tests they took and the assessments their teacher has made about them.

Quote from the STA's leaflet to parents, published today!

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Apologies, but I have read somewhere that scaled scores must be reported, but now can't find where! I shall keep looking!

As mentioned above, it is in the parents leaflet. we don't HAVE to give parents the raw score but-as we have to give the scaled score and the conversion table is included, it seems pointless not to!

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I knew I had read it today!! Mind you, I have read so much, it's not surprising I can't recall where!

11. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Any joy Carrie?

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

13. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Thank you, Carrie. Looks like we'll probably do the same.

Do people include this in with the annual report or send home separately? It would be useful for somebody to share a letter they're sending out as something to work from if there is anybody who has already done one.

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

15. emmat34

emmat34 New commenter

16. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

When the CTF is downloaded from the NCA website you can print off a sheet with each child's results. On one side is the TA data. On the other side is the raw score and scaled score for each subject- that's what we will be sending out to parents.

Don't ask me how to print the sheets, the SBM did them.

emmat34 likes this.
  17. emmat34

emmat34 New commenter

Extremely useful information, Jesmond12. Unless my Head told me, I would be none the wiser.

18. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

19. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Well, they have made everything else up as they went along, why should this be any different?

SchoolBoyError likes this.
  20. SchoolBoyError

SchoolBoyError Occasional commenter

Nail on the head! 12 to go!