1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 RE - Religion and the individual

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DJL, Mar 4, 2012.

1. DJL

DJL

I've just been given this unit to teach (covering a class). I'm finding it a difficult topic to find resources for - does anyone know anything that could help? This week's lesson is about recognising that certain actions and practices demonstrate commitment to a religion. I could make a ppt I suppose, showing some of the above that they might recognise. Any more ideas? Thanks.

2. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

Why not begin with a pairs game whereby the children have to match actions to organisations/groups that people might belong to. For example,a soldier would keep all his/her equipment in top working order; a traffic warden would look for cars parked illegally; someone in a football team would only shoot if they wereon the right bit of the pitch (don't know anything about football!) etc. You could then move on to some basic beliefs of various religions and explore what actions and practices arose from those belief systems, including those that the religions have in common (Venn diagrams are good for that). they could then evaluate what beliefs drive their own actions and practices, whether or not they have a religious faith.Hope that makes sense.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have been to India. I saw people bathing every day in the Ganges to purify themselves. Buddhists who do a puja (long pilgrimage) by standing up, moving forward, on their knees repeat. They don't eat meat - vegetarian.
    Muslims - don't drink, eat pork, give 10% of pay to charity
    Jews - Sabbath.
    Christians - looking after the needy.
    Each religion has a set of practises that followers practice. Some more than others. Hope that helps.
    You could use images of people doing all this and get them to discuss what is going on. Why? Which must be hard?
    What do they think they could do?

4. I always ask the class what they can think of in terms of how people show they belong to a particular faith. They usually discuss in pairs or a group then feed back as a class. They already know LOADS, but we focus on dress, food, rituals, places, rules for life, music, artefacts (such as use of prayer beads).

5. Surely you don't want a massive faith mash-up by listing loads of things chaotically and then trivialising religions by treating them superficially. Common sense says you start by looking at what the pupils themselves identify with in their lives, special objects, clothes, music, etc and then move on to two religions, eg Christianity and one other. You explore what it means to be a Christian child and what gives their life purpose. You look at things like crucifixes, rosary beads, prayer books, etc. You look at the Lord's Prayer....You explore another religion.