1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Placement

Discussion in 'Primary' started by col0101, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am preparing for a placement in a KS2 class (not sure what year group yet) but would like to purchase some books for end of day or any free time I may have.
    Does anyone recommend any books/resources which may be useful to me?
    Thanks

2. Hi
    I am preparing for a placement in a KS2 class (not sure what year group yet) but would like to purchase some books for end of day or any free time I may have.
    Does anyone recommend any books/resources which may be useful to me?
    Thanks

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Do you mean books to read to the children or books of ideas to fill a few minutes?

4. Books to read to the children mainly but a book of ideas would be useful if you know of any. Thanks

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The Day I Fell Down the Toilet is a fabulous book of poems to read with all of KS2 (and in fact many of KS1).

6. That's great thank you. Do you have any other useful resources or advice which may be useful?
    Thanks

7. Paul Jennings is a great author for older KS2 - he writes books full of short stories that you can read quite quickly, rather than tackling a longer novel. He's Australian and used to write the Round The Twist stories that were on TV when I was younger. They were quirky magical stories and they were set near a lighthouse if I remember it accurately. Some of the stories can be a little close to the bone but generally, if you scan them first to check for rude bits, the kids love them!

8. I loved the Round the Twist series!
    In answer to the OP, any Roald Dahl, Michael Morpurgo and Jacqueline Wilson (more for the girls than boys though) will more than likely go down very well. My class also like the Wimpy Kid series, but I haven't read them yet.
    If you ask the children when you start, they'll be able to give you some ideas of the kinds of books they like, and that woul;d mean that if you did select a couple from their suggestions, they are likely to be much more engaged.

9. Also, remember to have a look on the bookshelf in the classroom before you buy anything, it''s likely there's plenty of books on there that the children will love. If you have any good charity shops near you, pay them a visit too - I went to one near me and bought about 15 books for £7, so it makes sense to visit them if you have the time (and the strength to carry the books home!)

10. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

my 5/6 class absolutely loved holes by louis sachar! had them totally engrossed!! also freak the mighty but cant remember the author