1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2-only experience on PGCE - advice please!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sam876, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm currently on a PGCE and taught year 3 for first placement, and have a short placement coming up in year 4 before a final placement teaching year 5.

This means I'll leave without any experience teaching KS1, which i'm concerned may affect my chances when applying for jobs. (I haven't yet decided whether i've got an age-range preference and have only had a couple of weeks voluntary experience before starting the course so don't really have a lot to go off at the moment!).

Just wondered what other people's thoughts are on this - would an NQT applying for a KS1 post be disadvantaged if they'd never taught KS1 on teaching practice?

2. Hi everyone,

I'm currently on a PGCE and taught year 3 for first placement, and have a short placement coming up in year 4 before a final placement teaching year 5.

This means I'll leave without any experience teaching KS1, which i'm concerned may affect my chances when applying for jobs. (I haven't yet decided whether i've got an age-range preference and have only had a couple of weeks voluntary experience before starting the course so don't really have a lot to go off at the moment!).

Just wondered what other people's thoughts are on this - would an NQT applying for a KS1 post be disadvantaged if they'd never taught KS1 on teaching practice?

3. Hi, I've had a similar experience on my course and I would like to be a KS1 teacher. At first I was very upset about this and felt that my university had really let me down. However, after discussing it with my university tutor and the headteacher at my final placement school, I've now changed my mind. The resounding view is that as long as you demonstrate good teaching in your interview and have a good application, you shouldn't be disadvantaged. That said, there will be other heads who have a different view to this and may not consider employing you. Just try to spend some time in the KS1 class during your placements if you can.