1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ks2 maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by coffee-breff, Mar 28, 2016.

1. coffee-breff

coffee-breff New commenter

A couple of questions
    Could someone point me in the direction of some practice national curriculum tests for year 6 please? I am a secondary teacher and wanted to see what the pupils will be tested on.
    How many levels are there?

Regards
    C-B

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Google is your friend.

ilovepoppies and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

4. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

The educated guess would be a pass mark in the low sixties out of 110.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

That would be great- but as all but one of mine scored more than that recently on the sample paper though ( and she has some SEN) I'm aiming for 70 or more!

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Not sure where you're getting that number from.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Wishful thinking:D

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

better than looking at the tests would be to set some of your post GCSE exam teaching time aside to visit your feeder schools.

9. coffee-breff

Carrie. Thanks for your reply. I had found the site you had suggested, but had anticipated there would be more out there. It is a similar situation with the new GCSE.
    Hammie. I have already arranged my visits. The first one is during the first week back.

Thanks for your help
    C-B

10. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

11. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

t w i n k l have some papers which are pretty close to the sample papers, in terms of complexity and style ( although perhaps slightly easier!)

12. Milgod

13. Milgod

For you maybe!

I teach lower set Y6 maths. We had 2 children get 60+.

:(

14. Milgod

Good stuff. These type of visits need to occur far more regularly. I think a great number of Y7 children are put off maths (and other subjects) because of the repetition they come across when they move up.

I've seen it with years of classes I've taught and now my own daughter as well. She is doing the same stuff she did in Y6 (and actually easier stuff than I'm doing this year).

15. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Oh goodness, don't say that. We all know primary schools don't teach maths-we just teach to the test-and so year 7's can't do anything when they walk through the door of their secondary school.

16. Milgod

:D

I love having the transition meetings with Y7 teachers at the end of the term.

I tell them said child is a L6 mathematician. They say (in fairly polite terms) that I don't know what I'm talking about. Said child starts off Y7 and gets a grade within a week or two (quite amazing really how fast they get to know the children) which is fairly low. But wait! By the October half term the child is now a 6.8+

Outstanding progress. Well done Y7 teacher.

CarrieV likes this.
  17. coffee-breff

Millgod & CarrieV – do I think a lot of year 6 tutors teach to a test? Probably. Do I think all year 11 teachers do the same? I know they do, I do it too. I do the same with my year 12s and year 13s.

Do I think my year 7s have SATs levels that are higher than I think is valid? Quite a few. Do I think all of my year 12s with an A in their maths GCSE understand what they are doing and can perform simple algebra problems? No I don’t.

Do I care about artificial levels of progress based on "unreliable" KS2 or artificial GCSE results? Personally, no I don’t.

What I am trying to find out is what a student with a “pass” will look like. What they will have been taught and avoid repeating year 6 in year 7.

From looking at the websites I have seen, the new KS2 tests are all a bit vague. We have a similar situation with the new GCSE. We have no idea of what the grade boundaries will be, and we even less information about the new A level.

Thanks for all your help. It has been useful, and I will now know what topics to avoid when I have my meetings. :)

C-B

18. Milgod

Not really sure that dealt with any of my points about Y7 repeating everything and thus turning children off learning, but I'm glad you got it off your chest.

19. coffee-breff

Milgod.
    Yes I do think year 7 is a repetition of year 6. For some of the students who struggle with maths, this isn't a bad thing. For the rest, it's a disaster.

Thanks again for your help.

20. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

To know what year 6 have been taught, surely the best place to look is at the year 6 curriculum, rather than the year 6 tests. The tests are only a snapshot of parts of the curriculum, since we have no idea what will appear on the test we teach the curriculum and hope for the best!