1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Maths Club

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by stilldreaming2, Jul 20, 2011.

1. I'm hoping to start a KS2 'after school' maths club for children who need a bit of extra help in September. I want to make it different to maths lessons - more practical activities, maybe inviting KS4 students to help etc and am just fishing for some inspiration - can anyone help? Thanks.

2. I'm hoping to start a KS2 'after school' maths club for children who need a bit of extra help in September. I want to make it different to maths lessons - more practical activities, maybe inviting KS4 students to help etc and am just fishing for some inspiration - can anyone help? Thanks.

3. You have a lot of scope for 'functional' maths and with the olympics coming up there is a massive amount of scope to do a maths project around it focusing on a different skill each week.
    My one concern is "Why are the kids not hitting the standard required?"
    You may find functional stuff is too much for them as they may also struggle with the literacy, less sturcture and interaction with others.
    Establish what your goals are and go from there. There are some ways to jazz numeracy up. Supermathsworld website could be a 'fun' out of hours activity.
    Using KS4 pupils can be great sometimes, not so good other times.