1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 marking symbols

Discussion in 'Primary' started by angel-74, Aug 16, 2011.

1. angel-74

angel-74 New commenter

I hope this post makes sense - I'm interetsed in reducing my literacy marking time and was hoping to replace some comments with symbols. Does anybody else do this, if so what symbols do you use e.g. for a spelling mistake, missing punctation, a symbols for a part of the sentence that doesn't make sense, a good piece of a sentence. Hope this makes sense.

2. angel-74

angel-74 New commenter

I hope this post makes sense - I'm interetsed in reducing my literacy marking time and was hoping to replace some comments with symbols. Does anybody else do this, if so what symbols do you use e.g. for a spelling mistake, missing punctation, a symbols for a part of the sentence that doesn't make sense, a good piece of a sentence. Hope this makes sense.

3. Not really unusual but i use:
    sp. = spelling mistake
    ww = wow word
    2 ticks = great punctuation/connective/opener etc
    * = if ive made a note on something specific at the bottom
    NP = paragraph needed
    // = new line

I find it helps to mark with children at the start of the year so they understand what this means

4. At my school we use proper editing symbols for this. For instance, we underline a mis-spelled word, double backslash for a new paragraph, single backslash for a new sentence etc. The children also use them when editing their own work.
    For comments, I have a symbol for something done well (a star) and a symbol for something to improve (an up arrow). These do mean I don't have to write out the same sentence starter 30 times - for example, I might write: * - lots of powerful verbs. arrow -level 5 punctuation.

5. angel-74

angel-74 New commenter

Thank you for these - anybody else use anything similar?

6. We use:
    Wavy line under spelling mistakes
    A circle for missed punctuation
    // for a missed new paragraph or where something should be on a new line
    ? if it doesn't make sense
    Double underline for missed capital letters

We also use a tick and arrow system to show what has been achieved and what they need to work on next time.