1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Local History Study

Discussion in 'Primary' started by voiceoftruthandwisdom526, Jul 31, 2019.

1. voiceoftruthandwisdom526

voiceoftruthandwisdom526 New commenter

Looking for some inspiration after our History Curriculum has been twiddled with... what sorts of things do people do? From what I have heard/seen, it's never been taught well or properly at my school since the curriculum changed...

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Sheeesh! That's a bit harsh!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My LA is very fortunate in being 'rich in History and have a choice of looking at Charles !, Victoria as 'important people' or the War Years as events as part of a local study and resources are good. We have a local narrow gauge railway line and successfully run 'Evacuee' days, run by retired teachers. I've looked at the 'local village through the ages' and linked it with geographical changes.

You just have to have a look around your local area and see what's around.

4. voiceoftruthandwisdom526

Out of context, yes, it does sound harsh. In context, those words are the exact ones used by the people who have taught the local history in the last 5 years. Maybe they were being harsh on themselves... either way, I need to find something a bit different to chairmaking so that we don't repeat previous studied topics, as well as figuring out how to teach it so that the History Lead and the HT are happy!

Thanks! As someone who is not actually local to the school I teach at, I suppose I'll have to spend a bit of time researching the area before I can figure something out.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Then this is your first ort of call. Are there any significant historical events or people associated with your new area would be a good starting point.

For example the potteries links in study of pottery, from Roman to Wedgewood and Doulton and Clarice Cliff.

Blackpool or 'Holiday destinations, you could look at the development of holiday resorts and then tehir decline.

Industrial areas to look at inventions and the move from country to 'towns'.

Any areas with a history associated with major battles or important historical figures, eg Stratford for Shakespeare, Cambridge and Cromwell- you get the idea.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

'Local' is a very wide area...
    You don't need to do the research, the children can and should.
    They can go to a library, on a class trip and look things up, or use google.
    You can get treasure hunts of many towns and cities which would be a great starting activity to generate pupil led research. https://www.treasurehunts.co.uk/treasure-hunts-in-the-uk

7. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

I do sympathise on the not-knowing an area front. Are you in an area which is already strongly linked with another NC history topic? Apologies for the obvious points/suggestions but if the school is in, or near, a town is there a local museum that would be a good starting point? For your own research, even if you don't take the children? Or sometimes the education person can visit the school instead. If the school is in a village, is there a local history society nearby that could help?

Is there a famous person who was born or grew up or lived in the vicinity that would be a good starting point for a project? Is the school named after somebody or if there are houses are they named for locals? (I currently live in East Anglia and I have seen projects based on people like Thomas Clarkson - abolitionist; Octavia Hill - social reformer and NT; Edith Cavell; Elizabeth Fry etc. which can tie in with some wider historical topics although don't always stick to being local!) Is there a castle or stately home or former monastic site in the locality that could be the starting point looking at changes?

If you were looking to do something more cross-curricular (with geography) - and this wouldn't work everywhere in the country - another idea would be to look at the place names of villages etc. and see whether they can identify the origins of the place names and what that tells you about the origins of the settlement, then trace history.

One project I've seen a few times (but you might have already done it) is to look at the war memorial and research the lives and families of the soldiers commemorated - particularly in villages or close-knit towns it isn't uncommon for the children to have relatives amongst them.

8. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

Hi, you don't say where you are and which topics but how about studying 'real' local people?

I'm a big fan of linking with older people in the community - we're loosing this precious generation after all. Or find an angle for an older person to talk about their experiences, how x impacted their childhood. Eg this could be a pupils' grandparent. Let the pupils do a Q&A so it's lead by them.

This can be backed up by local archives and has many CCL links to English, Art, PSCE. Also book a library tour, visit L.A archives your local museum which may have artefacts .

Finally if you can book History off The Page, they're great!

Hope this is useful.

9. voiceoftruthandwisdom526

I think this is one of the best routes for me to go down - I'm fairly sure there are some local places like that, so it's just a matter of finding out enough about them so that I can at least help steer the children in the right direction - otherwise they'll do all the research and when we present it somehow, somebody will tell me that it's all wrong!

Ah... I've left the area off deliberately - let's just say that the school is in an area that the locals are... too interesting to be age-appropriate?! (Not sure if I've put that diplomatically enough!) Thanks for the visitor idea though, I'll look them up!