1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Leader Interview - Presentation

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by captain oats, Feb 3, 2016.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Hi all,

I have an interview coming up for a KS2 Leader position - my first leadership role.

I am confident with the teaching part of my interview but I have been asked to do a 10 minute presentation as well.

The title for the presentation is along the lines of:

Leading a Successful Team

I have been looking rigorously at the school website and know all about their vision so I will make sure to include key words and phrases from that.
    1) what else do I need to make sure I mention?
    2) How do I 'present' the presentation? Powerpoint or not? (it does IT facilities are available)

Any advice gratefully received.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting the interview! You have already impressed them.

Q1 Nobody will answer. Not because we are mean, but because we have a policy of NOT giving ideas for interview lessons and presentations - it has to be your own ideas! And if we put up some suggestions, somebody else who is also being interviewed could see them . . . :(

Q2 What would make you most comfortable? And what would make the best impression? The trouble with PP is that some people put too much detail on each slide, and then just read it off. With their back to the audience . . . :( :(

HERE is a nice Golden Oldie with hints for how to present. You might find it useful. Also useful could be the numerous advice articles on interviews - Tag me @TheoGriff and ask if you would like a link to those.

Best wishes

3. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Thank you for your kind words @TheoGriff - some links would be extremely useful (this website has changed so much since I was last here!)

And I do understand what you mean about not sharing ideas, I think I just a hit a wall and couldn't think of anything. Luckily I have a week to prepare so I have time to mull things over.

With the powerpoint I was thinking of just putting key words on each slide which would make it easier to see what my main points are. I think I will go for it as it will be a good reminder for what I want to talk about and make it easy for the interviewers to see and remember my key message.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, that's the sensible way. Remember about not speaking with your back to them!

The basic rule for a presentation is a 3 part-er.
    1. Tell'em what you're going to tell'em
    2. Tell'em
    3. Tell'em what you told'em
    :)

Interviews advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question? *** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On here we have a very nice tradition that when you actually get a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

Make sure you congratulate someone when you see a thread like that!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes