1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ks2 internal writing tests - AGAIN!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by groovyshell83, Apr 26, 2012.

1. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

Please help. I am soooo confused with what is going on!! Am I to beleive that the internal writing tests for ks2 have been delivered to my school already?
    I can take these at any time between now and June?
    Is there a spelling toest with them?
    Once the test has been done, I mark them and level them using...???? Is there a mark scheme included? Or do I use APP? or a little bit of both???
    Do I mark the spelling? Or does this get sent off with the reading???
    Once I have marked the papers, what do I do with the papers and marks??
    Can I download the level 6 paper? Does this get sent away or do I mark this too?
    Any help woud be really helpful!!

2. As a school you should have already decided whether you are going for internal or external marking a while back. The internal writing tests have already been delivered to schools (unless you are a writing 'sample' school in which case you have to take them on the Tuesday of sats week in the normal way and send them off as previous years). You can take the internally marked test any time between tomorrow and the end of June, depending on how ready your children are. Some people are opting for the SATs week anyway because the kids are in the zone, others are waiting till the last moment to shove in every bit of writing practice. It's a short write, a long write and a spelling. There's a mark scheme with it, which you use to mark the work. You don't send it off (unless you've opted for external marking or you are a sample school, see above). You don't have to report the result, you just use it to inform your teacher assessment along with all the other work, APP, assessed writing from the whole year. Send in the TA result along with your other TA results at the start of July. Due to the fact that we have never had a child with Level 6 aspirations I can't help you with that one! http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/assessment/keystage2/b00203626/key-stage-2-english-writing-tests has all the information you need/should have had from your Headteacher to be honest!
    Hope this is useful.

3. tange

tange New commenter

I understand your confusion. Although I think I have the answers to your questions.
    Yes the papers should have been delievered - some schools have already done theirs.
    You will mark the shorter/spelling and longer papers.
    You mark using the marking guidance that comes with the pack - along with any other writing marking system that you normally use. Remember if you are marking internally the actual level that the children score on the paper will only be used to support your TA.
    We are still awaiting guidance about what to do with converting the writing levels/scores and reading scores to an overall English level.
    The level 6 papers will be delivered shortly and they are externally marked.
    We were extremely confused today when we read this document... http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/m/key%20stage%202%20english%20writing%20moderation%202012%20guidance.PDF
    Has anybody read it yet and if so what are your thoughts?

4. I've had moderator training today for my LEA and I think it's bonkers that we're only asked to moderate and report whole levels. 4c is a WORLD away from 4a.
    The way my LEA is planning to do it shouldn't be too scary and is very much in line with what already happens in KS1.

I do however feel the gov'ment should have given us all those level descriptors in September. They are straight fwd and reflect APP etc but they are not what people have been used to, and therefore by that very fact, seem scary. (They're not . . . we had to use them to sit an exam to become a moderator, LOL)

5. tange

tange New commenter

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, I agree everything has been left to the last minute and I think over the next few days more people are going to be asking questions.
    Am I right in thinking that the in addition to the sample schools the LEA are going to select some others at random?

6. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

Is everyone going to be moderated? When and how is this going to happen if people don't sit the tests until late in June? Just when I get things straight in my head, it all gets messed up again!

7. None of it actually is statutory. The gov'ment select the schools for the LEA 'randomly'. (25%). In addition to that, some LEAs are choosing to do additional schools - some in the northwest are doing up to 50%! Ours is sticking with the 25% and then hosting optional group moderating for those not already chosen.

It really shouldn't be too scary a process for anyone in year 6 - moderating is only whole levels, 2 - 5. We've been asked to also check a few children on level threshold boundaries, and its all in discussion with the class teacher from their current literacy, writing, topic books (or however we keep our writing evidence) and school tracking. It SHOULDN'T be any extra work???!!!

8. tange

tange New commenter

For moderation - they only need pupils work; the papers are an added bonus!
    I have spent the day trying to get my head round this with my colleagues and we are still baffled - but here is my interpretation... please someone correct me if I am wrong.
    There have been a sample of schools selected for moderation but added to this each LEA are going to select other schools - they will be notified no more that 2 weeks in advance. We had an e-mail through to say we would find out on 25th May and our Moderation would take place sometime in the week beginning 11th June. Which doesn't leave much time to mark the papers as the 11th June is the first day back after half term.

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Are they only moderating schools which have gone for internal marking or are any schools "fair game?" We opted for external marking as our LA seemed clueless about the moderation process ( still do!) but I'm not sure whether this means we will be exempt from moderation or more likely to get it!

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Firstly, how does it not give you long to mark the papers? How long do you think it takes to mark the SATs writing?

Secondly, I doubt you even need to have them marked anyway. You will be moderated on your TA over all the children's work.