1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 in Middle School

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by MrsDeavin, Apr 26, 2016.

1. MrsDeavin

MrsDeavin New commenter

Hi

Does anyone have any advice on working in a middle school as a key stage 2 teacher? I had a lesson observation in a middle school yesterday for a job and have been called back for an interview tomorrow but I'm not sure how I feel about working in a middle school now that I have found out a little bit more.

Obviously I applied for the job so I'm not totally against the idea but I'd just like to know people's experiences before I go if possible.

Thanks

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It's fabulous.
    I absolutely loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat.
    However, now I teach in a prep school, not overly different, I might stay with that.

Are you looking for SLT/Head positions in the next 5 years? If so this might limit your options a little bit. But other than that, go for it.
    You get to teach your class a lot of the time, but not all those tricky subjects like music and PE.

Can't recommend it enough.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I know I'm somewhat biased, having written my thesis on Middle Schools and spent practically my whole career in them, but I believe firmly in them and grieve their demise in so many authorities.

They cater excellently for those 'in-betweenagers' going through all those maturational processes involved with pruberty. I found the Year 5 & 6s tended to be more grown up too than in Primaries.

However if you're not firmly committed it may not suit you.

Another consideration is your lack of teaching to exams, should you wish to move into Secondary. This was many a colleagues problem when they closed all our Middles.