1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Guided reading books 2a-5c??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by volvic, Jan 20, 2011.

1. volvic

volvic New commenter

Hi
    I'm trying to reorganise our entire guided reading section in school and was wondering if anyone had a good suggestions for guided reading texts for KS2. There seem to be lots of schemes (Rigby, Rockets, Star Quest, etc.) available for KS1, but I'm looking for texts/schemes that are broken down by sublevel for KS2 (so 2a-5c) with attached activities.
    Guided reading so often falls off the timetable, so I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for our staff.
    All suggestions welcome!

2. volvic

volvic New commenter

Hi
    I'm trying to reorganise our entire guided reading section in school and was wondering if anyone had a good suggestions for guided reading texts for KS2. There seem to be lots of schemes (Rigby, Rockets, Star Quest, etc.) available for KS1, but I'm looking for texts/schemes that are broken down by sublevel for KS2 (so 2a-5c) with attached activities.
    Guided reading so often falls off the timetable, so I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for our staff.
    All suggestions welcome!

3. <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">This may be a viewed as an inappropriate response (since it will smack of self-promotion) but I&rsquo;ve just written and published a set of three full-length children&rsquo;s stories for the 7-11 age range. They&rsquo;re supported by extensive teaching and learning resources structured in line with the Literacy Strategies. It would help me (and might help you) if you could take a look at the samples on my website (</font>www.litworks.com/childrens.php<font size="3">) and comment (publicly, or privately to wordsmith@clix.pt) on their suitability for your needs. I need feed-back!</font>

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

There are some good books by 'Rising Stars' for less able readers who are too old for KS1 content.

Do you really want 5c readers to be doing a 'scheme'?

Oxford Reading Tree go up to a pretty high level, but not sure the levels are given. You might have to figure it out.

5. volvic

volvic New commenter

Thanks for your responses,
    I'll have a look at your website! Appreciate all self-promotion!!

Minnieminx, 5c scheme was not entirely what I meant! I was in a bit of a rush this morning! What I'm looking for is texts which are complex enough for KS2, but with some guidance for inexperienced teachers.

Our current cupboard for KS2 guided reading contains 10 different texts per year group, a couple for Below Average, A, and for AA, no 'sets' of books - so we photocopy one book, or share(!), and no one allowed to touch the books from another year group...

I figure organising by sublevel may be more appropriate, since we've all got such a range of abilities (don't we all!!?). The A, BA, AA system doesn't seem to work as in year 6 we've got children working at 1a up to 5c so BA is everyone under a level 3a!

How do you organise it?!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well we have our GR books organised by year groups and kept in one of the classrooms. No-one uses those from other year groups, but we all struggle to find books for the top and bottom ends of our own. I cannot for the life of me see why we can't share!

In terms of tasks there are none. Some year groups use grids from Lancashire grid for learning, but not all. Others just listen to the children read!

http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrategy/literacy/index.php?category_id=78

7. Perhaps you can just bring your common sense to bear. Make sure that you do have a good spread of good books in sets for groupwork, set teaching and learning intentions according to the books you are focusing upon relative to the children in the particular group - read the book together appropriate to capability and then ask questions about the books according to common sense.
    Don't overworry about books being matched to levels. Start from the pupils and the books and just be natural.
    In trying to organise our teaching and make everything into a measured and accounted-for science, we have lost confidence about using our common sense and working well with resources and our children.

8. Rigby Navigator sets of guided reading books for KS2 are fairly good. They come in colour banded sets (by age unfortunately) with teaching guides and cover a range of fiction and non-fiction text types. They could be better but are easy enough for inexperienced staff to use. We tend to substitute them quite a lot too - using old SATs reading booklets and making similar sytle ones using real texts e.g news stories for more able children in Y6.

9. We use Collins Big Cat which are also colour banded and levelled. Easy to use and with suggested questions/activities. Simples.

10. http://www.collinseducation.com/series/pages/seriesshow.aspx?SeriesTitle=collins%20big%20cat&level1=Primary