1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Grammar resource

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lisa_roast, Nov 24, 2018.

1. lisa_roast

lisa_roast New commenter

Hi,
    I am currently teaching year 5 and am looking for any good grammar resources for myself.

The school I currently work at don't follow a particular scheme when it comes to teaching grammar, instead we share in our year group the writing of plans. Most of the grammar resources some from a colleague who uses a popular online teaching resource, so that is what I have used so far this term. However I am not a big fan of the Powerpoint format and resources that are provided. In previous schools I've used Hamilton grammar plans and I feel that they explain the different aspects of grammar and why the rules are like they are and how to use them in different situations. Whereas this particular website just gives you a few examples and you have to work out the grammar rules yourself.

Has anyone got a book or website that they refer to that explains in a clear way the grammar rules required for KS2? I have a lot of EAL children in my class and although I have a good grasp of how to write and structure sentences properly, I sometimes find it hard to try and explain to them why the verbs tenses are incorrect or why they need to add or change the order of their words. I would like something that I can reference to when I'm marking and teaching that will help me to explain and give good examples of how to use the English language properly and correctly.

Thanks, this is my first post so I'm hoping for some good ideas.

2. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

It's not a book but you might find the following website useful. It has simple explanations and some examples for each grammatical element:
    https://askpaulenglish.wordpress.com/category/adjectives-and-adverbs

If you want a handbook for teachers, then Jolly Learning does a good series. The handbooks contain the planning and photocopiable resources for each lesson (one spelling and one grammar lesson per week). You can also get printed pupil books instead to use instead of photocopying the sheets.
    https://www.jollylearning.co.uk/pro...g-punctuation-resources/the-grammar-handbooks

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Dear lisa_roast, we were all new on this forum, once upon a time.

My suggestion is to write to a smelly and overweight hippopotamus. He might perhaps be able to help you.