1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 English bit of fun..! Or not as the case may be.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by togethernet, Jan 13, 2016.

1. togethernet

togethernet New commenter

palmtree100 likes this.
  2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

That was fun. We've had an interesting discussion on the relevance of learning all of this at this age.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Was quite disappointed with my result- only 80%. I know I was rushing it, aware of the 10 mins deadline and didn't go back to check answers but even so . . . . .!:oops:

4. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2016
  5. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Well, I can only see one marked in red but it said I got 8. I didn't agree with them on the one I got wrong anyway!!!

6. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

Ha! Can you remember which question that was? There was one I got wrong that I was very dubious of too!

7. togethernet

8. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

The test may come from there but the idea that it is an SAT derives from mythology.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You'll love this from the DfE (around 15 seconds in)

togethernet likes this.
  10. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

I got 9 out of 10, and grammar is supposed to be a strong point of mine. I made a mistake on the one about determiners. I only ticked one and two. I didn't tick the because I knew it was also called an article.
    I think most of this stuff is too technical and better suited to secondary school. Primary schools should focus on the basics like punctuation, simple vocabulary like verb, noun, adjective, and tenses. More time should be spent on spelling instead.

11. togethernet

I agree totally. Parents don't know this stuff and teachers struggle.

12. togethernet

10 minutes is loads of time!

13. Lara mfl 05

Not when I didn't check how may questions there were before I started. :oops: Also not being able to see answers after one had answered made it difficult to check- as I realised too late.:(

14. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

It was the 'it's a preposition' one. I think some of the difficulty I and maybe others had was that over the years THEY've changed the labels/applications of the labels since the time I did linguistics in the Ice Age!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I managed 9 but do teach year 6 so should be able to get them all right:( It was the preposition one for me too!

16. Lara mfl 05

You may well be correct there languageisheartosay. Though 'technically' grammar is still grammar, the 'terminology' does change- as in the current conjunction/ connective confusion.

17. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

It looks as though a word like before can be a preposition (I suppose when followed by a noun like before dinner) or a conjunction if it links two clauses. Quite tricky even for those of us who have studied linguistics! Why would an 11-year -old need to know?

Landofla and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. Lara mfl 05

Spot on palmtree.
    Unless one stops and considers very carefully (and let's face it how many 11 year olds would?) it is all too easy to give an 'incorrect' answer.

19. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Gritted my teeth (because of the "SATs" nonsense) and did it.

Managed 10/10 - but I did do grammar to degree level and so I should have really.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

For no reason whatsoever imo.

palmtree100 likes this.