1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Data handling. Which order does it go in?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by NQT88, Dec 15, 2011.

1. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

Hello,
    I have been reading level descriptors and from what I can gather bar charts are taught before tally charts and frequency charts. Is this right?
    I am working with Yr 4 and was going to give the more able the challenge of doing a frequency chart and then putting that information into a bar chart. For the others I was going to have them just do the bar chart. Is this right?
    Thanks!

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Not really because in Primary tally and frequency charts are used to collect and sort information, bar charts are used to represent the information collected! SO for example, if you are collecting data on favourite pets, the tally chart would be used to record responses, a frequency table would record the results of the tally and a bar chart would provide a pictoral representation. ALL the children need to be able to collect and represent the information, the differentiation would come through the scale being used or the type of graph being constructed.