1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 D&T - making a musical instrument - ideas???

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lily_leopardprint, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Sooooooooo I'm on PGCE placement again from next week. Got to plan a block of 4 D&T lessons about making a musical instrument for Monday.
    Am finding this pretty dry and VERY HARD to plan so any ideas would be most welcome.
    ESPECIALLY, I have decided that I want there to be a POINT to this, like a performance or something. Any ideas??
    I am new in this school, having only been in to observe for 2 days before the Easter hols. The school is in a very over-priveleged area and the kids all seemed really dull and unexcitable - I found myself longing for the naughty children of previous placements! I would like to get them enthused and make it feel like there's a REASON for making our own bloody maraacas!
    Thanks very much in advance and grateful anticipation!!

2. You could do a performance, show them in the school assembly, link it to recycling and the changing sounds topic of the qca.
    There are MANY more things to make than maracas! Last year, when we did it, I banned them from making maracas. It's amazing what they came up with - rainsticks made from long plastic tubing, chime bars made from cut pieces of hollow copper/metal piping, drums made from plastic ice cream tubs with a balloon stretched over the top, and even guitars made from broom handles and fishing wire! If you need any information on how to make these, send me your email in a private message and I'll advise you.

You should also look at getting this guy in, he inspired all the children to make their instruments and provided clear instructions on how to do it. He's really good!

http://www.boffinprojects.co.uk/scienceofsound.htm

He does Making Musical Instruments and Changing Sounds workshops. You can have either one of the workshops, or both together.

Hope this helps.
    GRQ

3. Sorry, where is that unit? Couldn't find it.
    I would second the above poster who recommended Sam Paechter - he was brilliant at our school.

4. Year 3 What music would you like to make?
    If you still can't find it and would like it, I can e-mail it to you!

5. Thanks, du-uh, was looking at y5!

6. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

Google The Lost And Found Orchestra. Plenty of inspiration there for noise making.

7. Or google STOMP, a band that make their own instruments from junk and recyclable materials. I have, for the past 4 years, run a very successful after school club based on this idea, and it's so simple!