1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 computing - how to fit it all in and what lessons to drop?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Smurf191, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Smurf191

Smurf191 New commenter

Evening. I've taken on a computing co-ordinators role but have come from KS1. We have an icompute scheme that is dipped in and out of plus many stand alone blocks of lessons as we try and do 50/50 computers/ipads.

I just feel like there is so much to fit in I can't manage it on paper. We try and do 2 blocks of scratch for each year group, 2 blocks of internet safety which I try and merge with other skills. There are so many lovely apps, stop frame animation lessons, excel, networks, searching and internet skill lessons which I can't fit in... Plus I would like to extend year 6 into designing websites. I found this statement Select, use and combine a variety of software (including internet services) on a range of digital devices to design and create a range of programs, systems and content that accomplish given goals, including collecting, analysing, evaluating and presenting data and information so open ended.

How do you you manage, what is a must have that I should keep and what are extras?

2. ronnieg

ronnieg New commenter

You don't need two blocks of Internet safety - try and incorporate it into your lessons. Five minute video or story ( Hector's World, Lee and Kim , Digi Duck - Smartie the Penguin younger ones - Jigsaw, Play Like Share with older ones) in each lesson with a short chat will tick those boxes. Can you cover it in PSHE as well?

Look to make it cross curricular as well ( Pic Collage, Imovie will help with this). Some of the coding could be in lessons such as maths ( directional language - BeeBots etc) - algorithms can be covered in English ( basically just instructions).

We did a Moviemaker lesson today about the Alps so we incorporated it into geography.

Have you tried making phone apps - have a look at Blippit - it does cost but there is so much you can do with it.

Co-spaces is a great one as well- create all kinds of VR content across the curriculum. ( Using this currently linked to a science topic on Space).

You need anything else then drop me a PM with your email and I can send over a curriculum maps we use. Hope this helps!

3. ipswichlatebus

ipswichlatebus New commenter

Could I get a copy of. This please?

4. ronnieg

ronnieg New commenter

Hi sent you a message - send me your email address and I'll send it over

5. ipswichlatebus

ipswichlatebus New commenter

Just messaged u