1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 Class Sizes

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WB, Nov 22, 2011.

1. WB

WB New commenter

I'm not an expert here but I'll have a go!
    Firstly my sympathies. The ability range is normal but over 30 in class makes life very hard for a teacher.
    As far a legal maximum class size is concerned for KS2 I don't think there is one.
    The school will have a PAN (Published Admission Number) this is the maximum number of children for the school. If a school has vacancies and a new pupil applies they have to be accepted unless they have been expelled from 2 other schools.
    I could be wrong on some of the above but basically you're stuffed! I once taught 42 in a year 5 class in the afternoons.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree with WB it depends on your admissions number- different for different schools. In the past I've taught 42 in a language class and had a whole year group for the last 1/4 hr on art afternoons, whilst colleagues cleared up/stacked work on racks etc.

3. Oh I thought it was 40 for KS2. How do they decide the PAN? Lol, puts an interesting light on some of the 'knowledgeable' parents I overheard the other day discussing how a class of 30 in Year 3 wasn't really acceptable and something should be done!
    OP I guess you just have to hope the child is a similar ability to some others making grouping easier. Get lots of support from the SENCO - if the info from the old school isn't clear enough then do lots of assessments with him/her and your other new children.
    1 child shouldn't make too much difference to your ability to differentiate which is a massive part of moving on their K and U. Timetable in lots of guided groups and mini assessment tasks and stick to them! Get the children into the habit of no bothering you when you're working with others, your guided/supported time is sacred.