1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ks2 choir - standing still

Discussion in 'Music' started by *Daisie*, Mar 5, 2011.

1. *Daisie*

*Daisie* New commenter

My choir are performing in a concert next week. We have some really good singers and they sound fantastic. However, they are spoiling it because they won't stand still, especially if it's a verse where they aren't singing. Someone at school has suggested using actions, which I can see could help, but it's just not the right sort of song. Apart from telling them (which I have done time and time again)! can anyone suggest any tried and tested methods to get the children to stand still and to watch me?
    Thanks for your help

2. *Daisie*

*Daisie* New commenter

My choir are performing in a concert next week. We have some really good singers and they sound fantastic. However, they are spoiling it because they won't stand still, especially if it's a verse where they aren't singing. Someone at school has suggested using actions, which I can see could help, but it's just not the right sort of song. Apart from telling them (which I have done time and time again)! can anyone suggest any tried and tested methods to get the children to stand still and to watch me?
    Thanks for your help

3. bod99

bod99 New commenter

I presume you mean they are fidgeting rather than moving to the music?!
    Actions are good for a bit of focus, but as you say some songs just don't suit actions. I have used stickers liberally in the past to highlight the children who ARE focused and standing correctly. I think I would avoid the words "stand still" as that is almost impossible. Try some exercises before you start - raising and lowering shoulders to ears, rotating shoulders etc, to encourage them to stand in a relaxed way. Are they standing with their feet under their shoulders and not together? Feet together makes them very unbalanced. Do they know where their arms should be? May seem obvious but you need to make it really clear. T
    Try to catch them out by moving your eyes quickly from child to child - the aim being that they shoudl ALWAYS be looking at you. Try winking to see if they're looking. How many winks did you do? Did they manage to spot them?
    Are you smiling at them and making really good eye contact? They won't look at you, unless they feel it's worth their while!

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Mine do this all the time at rehearsal but they never do in a concert! Somehow they remember or are so scared that they can't fidget. It causes me endless worry but they've never let me down yet. I also don't want them to stand absolutely still as it's very unnatural (and not what I do when I'm singing as I sing barbershop, and we NEVER stand still!). I try and channel any fidgettyness into the sort of movement I <u>do</u> want but I usually find that I can have standing stock still or fidgetting, and nothing in between.

5. *Daisie*

*Daisie* New commenter

Thanks for the ideas. We have a rehearshal tomorrow so I will try them. They do know how to stand properly, but I'll make a point of checking whether they are actually doing so.
    I think they probably will be fine on the day, as they'll be nervous. The problem then is getting them to actually sing! Last time they suddenly went really quiet. We've done lots of practice this time so hopefully they'll be better and a bit more confident.