1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 behaviour management tips and time fillers

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lookatthestars1, Apr 25, 2016.

1. lookatthestars1

lookatthestars1 New commenter

Hello,

I am an NQT EYFS teacher. I only had one KS1 placement during training, and the rest of the time I've been in reception. This week is my first week doing supply, and I've been put with all year groups across the week (I didn't realise this until today and have asked to only be put in Reception on KS1 in future).

I was with year 3 today, and will be going up to year 6 during the week (ahh). I felt a bit out of my comfort zone and the children answer back much more than reception children, a lot of the strategies I normally use weren't suitable/available (saying I'm disappointed, moving down a reward chart). Similarly, my normal time fillers (singing songs, wake and shake, and reading quick stories) weren't good for the age group or to use with a maths group after their work.

As I am a quiet and calm person, I do tend to rely on strategies and would love some more ideas for older children!

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Try posting this on primary forum, you may get more support.

Btw I found the same thing when I did supply in upper ks2. I just avoided it as much as I could!

lookatthestars1 likes this.