1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS2 attainment to KS3 predictors

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by wensdazechyld, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Can anyone tell me how we translate KS2 attainment grades into KS3 predictors? I know a level 5 at KS2 does not translate into a level 5 in year 7 or KS3. We used to have various formulas that we could use in my old LEA and we did CATs testing. I'm working overseas and we have neither. I'm in charge of making sure year 7's stay on track in Science and am not entirely sure I can make a good judgement about where the kids are supposed to be. Any advice gratefully appreciated.

2. stiginwhite

stiginwhite New commenter

Sorry, level 5 is level 5 is level 5, whichever Key Stage you are referring to. That was/is the whole premise of NC levels.

3. Actually it's not, which is why Level 5 is the expected attainment for most students at KS3, even if they have attained similar grades at KS2. I assume you haven't been teaching for very long if you haven't yet found out about the disparity between primary NC levels and secondary NC levels.
    Having worked with this for many years I know we had CATs to make predictors for KS3 and KS4 outcomes. We also had special formulae to do our own conversions. Pupils wouldn't need to sit CAT's if it was simple progression through the stages.
    As the majority of children attain Level5 at KS2 we would expect that the majority of children would attain Level 7 at KS3. According to your view, if that should be the case then most KS3 secondary teachers in the UK must be useless as there's simply no progression as the majority of students are 'stuck' on Level 5.
    As it is I haven't been involved in calculating Target levels for a number of years and simply don't remember the conversions.

4. Ilovetravel

Ilovetravel New commenter

The national average is 3 levels of progress from KS2-4. In which case KS2-3 would be 1 1/2 levels of progress.
    However, we are thinking about going for 4 levels of progress, which means 2 levels from KS2-KS3. Then 2 levels from KS3-KS4. This would make you 'above average' and consequently able to be good/outstanding.
    This all assumes you use KS2/KS3 levels with decimals and not just whole levels.

Hope this helps

5. Ilovetravel

Are you serious?!

6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Where on Earth would "decimal levels" come from?

7. Think the decimals would come in when you refer to level and a sub level. Is that right?

8. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

There aren't any sub levels in the National Curriculum.

9. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Pupils have a ceiling level just like adults do. I am the best I'll ever be at painting. Studying it for the next 40 years will not turn me into Turner. I realise that Ofsted et al simply cannot accept this.

Level 5 should be level 5 should be level 5. That, as someone already said, is the point of the National Curriculum (don't forget some pupils go to the same school from the age of 4 to 16). The only reason that schools have to do CATs and adjust/ignore the KS2 levels is due to grade inflation from the primary schools either by teacher estimates or priming kids for the sats every day for a full year at the exclusion of everything else.

10. Ilovetravel

As I said "This all assumes you use KS2/KS3 levels with decimals and not just whole levels."
    Computers don't understand a/b/c, so data people generally use them as decimals roughly as follows:
    3a=3.9
    3b=3.6
    3c=3.3
    or variations of the above.
    Of course we all know that a/b/c are 'made up' and are not part of NC levels.....