1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 (Y2) Moderation fears.....

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by mushroomz, May 14, 2017.

1. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Has anyone been through a Year 2 SATS moderation under the new ‘regime’? I’m talking the RIDICULOUS requirement to have each and every point evidenced three times in reading, writing and maths. This only came in last year, so I’m assuming that only a small percentage of Y2 teachers have been through it (but I’m hoping a few will be reading this, who can give me some advice / reassurance)!!

I’m absolutely dreading it, as no matter how closely I’ve followed the ‘Interim Teacher Assessment Framework at the end of KS 1’ in my planning and teaching, I just can’t find enough evidence for each and every point and it’s really making me feel totally sick right now. It doesn’t help either that we are only going to be told the three target children for each subject the day before (although I can see why this is the case). I feel it’s a hopeless situation, I really do, as there's just no leeway with it at all.

We’ve been told it’s no longer a ‘best fit’ scenario, but every single point has to be evidenced. This seems to me to be well nigh impossible, and I’m really worried what the outcome will be if a poor child is only ‘off’ by one tick, maybe two. Will I be hauled over the coals for wrongly assessing them? Since when did success mean achieving 100%, especially at 6 or 7 years old??!!?

I was once moderated under the old ‘levels’ system and this was almost a ‘pleasure’. The moderator was kind and accommodating and agreed with everything I said, but this new system is, frankly, unworkable (and I have been teaching a LONG time, with plenty of assessment experience under my belt).

Any help or advice would be very well received! THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

There ia no such requirement. This something your school or LA have made up.

The STA requirements are thus:

The pupil’s work must show that they consistently demonstrate attainment in line with the wording of all the ‘pupil can’ statements within the standard they have been awarded, taking account of any qualifiers. This does not mean that the pupil must demonstrate the ‘pupil can’ statement 100% of the time. Pupils are likely to have improved over the course of the year and may make a mistake with something the teacher knows they are actually secure in. In making a decision that a pupil consistently demonstrates attainment of a ‘pupil can’ statement, we expect teachers to exercise their professional judgement. They should be prepared to discuss this with the LA external moderator(s), with reference to the pupil’s work.

I suggest you read this https://www.nasuwt.org.uk/asset/D9D077EC-38AA-4F32-90FDF3FAFCAE7DE1/

3. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Thankjs, Pomz! That's a bit reassuring. I'll definitely have a read.

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

5. bylromarha

bylromarha New commenter

Our LEA have told us that points need to be evidenced 3 times in the writing. So 3 pieces of writing have been identified using the co-ordination correctly (each of or/and/but at least once) but just a couple of pieces with subordination. 3 need to be seen with an exclamation sentence. What a load of **** this is! You don't need everything in every piece, but you do need every statement identified 3 times across their writing. Things like Caps and full stops don't have to be perfect all of the time, but it has to be about 75% correct across their writing.

Maths - you need to show each statement in their work at least once, ensuring the work doesn't have a success criteria which is too directive (!) We've obviously over taught our kids as one of them was describing the properties of 2D shape in his maths book and finished describing his circle with "What a dizzy shape it is!"

Reading - we've been told to record on an ipad every child reading a Gold band book + answering a few pointed questions which meet some of the requirements. In addition, their guided reading work backs up the recording.

The best advice we've had is to send off our data about a week before the moderators are due in. That way they pre-select the children before they come so you can focus on everything for those 3 being up to scratch.

All the best with it! Ours are due 14th June.

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

As long as you return the cohort data, you will know in advance which pupils are in the sample.

However, the moderator should only share this with you a day in advance of the visit.