1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS1 wow words

Discussion in 'Primary' started by whodbeateacher, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Would love some advice about great games, lessons etc that have worked for you. Just assessed my pretty low ability KS1 class and there is some progress - hooray! However, their vocabulary is petty limited and in their narrative writing, they very rarely use wow/interesting words so I need to work on this with them.
    Have you clever people got any super activities that really helped? I have a designated display space so a lesson to start that could fill this would be great!

2. Would love some advice about great games, lessons etc that have worked for you. Just assessed my pretty low ability KS1 class and there is some progress - hooray! However, their vocabulary is petty limited and in their narrative writing, they very rarely use wow/interesting words so I need to work on this with them.
    Have you clever people got any super activities that really helped? I have a designated display space so a lesson to start that could fill this would be great!

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I always found with KS1 that drip feeding is best rather than a one off lesson or week of lessons. How about bringing in an unsual object or picture each day and stick it on your display. They could then post it around it with adjectives. You could do this for a half term and just keep changing your display.
    Easy to find unusual pictures online e.g. wonky trees, strange houses etc. I also found that going over the top enthusastic with the best wow word of the day helped the children remember it i.e. massive praise full of enthusiasm.

4. Great idea, thanks.